feel like a b-i

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by therealradish, Nov 20, 2009.

1. therealradish Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Hi all,
    a girl describes the performance on stage of a friend who has made out with her boyfriend and she's not very happy.
    She describes the scene to another friend and comments:

I felt like a B-I 'cause my faces-- I can't control them. I wasn't trying to look at her like that.

What does "b-i" mean in this context? (pronounced "bi- ai". I know that it can mean bisexual but this is not clearly the case. Is it a slang term used by young people?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Tonza Senior Member

Chicago, US
    English - U.S.
    I'm not positive, but I think she is alluding to the word :warn:"bitch" in one of two ways. Most likely, she is spelling out the first two letters so that everyone knows what word she means without her having to say it. (She is probably a person who doesn't like to swear). Less likely, given your description of the pronunciation, but maybe worth mentioning, is that she was using the slang two-syllable pronunciation :D which sounds like "bee-yatch". This way of pronouncing it is sometimes regarded as a "softer" way to say it (maybe because it's not the real word anymore?) But...who knows, maybe it is a different slang word, wait to hear from others.

3. therealradish Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thanks for your help, it could "bitch" now that you mention it. It is rude indeed, but I can find a softer way to translate it into Italian. Maybe "stronza"...

4. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    It could even be an abbreviation for ':warn:bloody idiot'.

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Great minds think alike, dear Charles!:D That's exactly what I thought.:)

Mi sento proprio cretina
    Sono una perfetta imbecille

etc....

Edit: or even "blithering idiot"!

And no, I am NOT referring to myself, Charles!:D

6. Tonza Senior Member

Chicago, US
    English - U.S.
    That makes more sense...We would not say B.I. in AE so I was stretching to make sense of it, I'm glad the rest of you showed up!

7. therealradish Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thanks all, your help is precious.

8. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Ours is just a guess like yours is, Tonza. One needs to be an expert in the art of telepathy to know what young people are trying to say nowadays; they have a language all of their own. :D

The lady doth protest too much, methinks! ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    In BE one very ofen uses B.F. (bloody fool) for this idea, and whilst bloody idiot is heard frequently. I have never heard the abbreviation B.I., which, however. may well have evolved by analogy with the former term.