1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

feisty

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by seitt, Apr 25, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

How can we translate “feisty”, please?

Dictionary.com defines it as follows:
    Having or showing exuberance and strong determination.

It's often used of a woman who won't allow other people, in particular men, to put her down. If you were to ask her, she'd say, “I'm not a doormat!”

I'd say it was an admiring word rather than a pejorative. I think maybe in early Islam you have some examples of feisty women, perhaps Hatice – I'm sure she didn't stand any nonsense from men! But I don't have enough precise knowledge to be sure, that’s just my impression. Being feisty doesn't stop a woman from being a good and loyal wife, although it does make her husband think twice before treating her as a chattel.

Here is tureng on the subject: http://tureng.com/search/feisty - all of these are correct in part, but none is ideal.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    We happen to have quite a popular word in Turkish: Delikanlı (madblood). Commonly used for boys and young men, it implies courage, honesty, perseverance and all other qualities an "ace" possesses.

When used to define a girl or woman, it's exactly "feisty".

- Amma delikanlı kız. Adama ağzının payını verir vallahi. (Such a feisty girl. Won't take no crap from anybody, she won't.)

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, it sounds just perfect!

Very interesting grammatically. If, as I understand, delikanlı is an adjective, it could also be translated as, "What a feisty girl!", couldn't it? Could one also say, "Ne delikanlı kız!"?

4. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Yes we can say that.

Interesting. I wonder what madness of the blood has anything to do with being -for example- "honest". Maybe deli comes from a different root and it originally is not related with madness.

-li suffix defines the content or an attribute of an object.. So it would literally mean "consisting of de"... whatever "de" originally meant.

5. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    True. "Delikanlı" is used as an adjective here. Standalone, it's exclusively a masculine noun; when you say something like, "Üç-beş delikanlı bu tarafa doğru geliyor", one will always assume they're all male.

Also, both of those translations are accurate substitutes. When you say, "Ne delikanlı kız!", it adds excitement on top of admiration.

Oh, and you're welcome.

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, most helpful.