Feliz Pascua - Happy Easter

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by amigas, Mar 17, 2008.

1. amigas Senior Member

Is "Happy Easter" in Spanish "Feliz Pascua"?
  2. David_80 Member

Spanish Spain
    feliz pascua will work perfectly

We usually say something like:

que paseis una buena pascua
    Que vayan bien las vacaciones de Pascua

happy Easter!
  3. amigas Senior Member

David, muchas gracias y ..."Feliz Pascua" :)
  4. iojfm Member

Argentina, Spanish
    We say "Felices Pascuas" in Argentina. I guess in Spain they say "Feliz pascua" :)
  5. amigas Senior Member

Gracias! It's funny that spanish in latin american countries is sometimes so different.
    It is however very interesting!
  6. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Believe it or not, in Spain we say Felices Pascuas for Christmas!!!! :)
  7. amigas Senior Member

Really? How strange!
    What happened to "Feliz Navidad"?
  8. zapirucho Member

We don't say Feliz Pascua in Spain. Actually we don't say anything. Easter in Spain is not supposed to be a time for having fun but, just the opposite, a time for repentance and reflection upon what Jesus did. Of course we meet friends and will try to have as much fun as possible but we don't have a greeting formula for this time, just 'Buenas vacaciones' or simply 'Que lo paseis bien'.
  9. amigas Senior Member

I see, thank you.
  10. zapirucho Member

Not at all. Some people (some years ago I would have said Most people) go to church and then go to see 'procesiones' (sort of parade if you take the fun off it) with 'nazarenos' and 'pasos'. Do some research in goggle (pictures) and you'll get some idea what Easter is like over here.
  11. amigas Senior Member

Thank you, I will. :)
  12. __AИDЯФȘȘ__

__AИDЯФȘȘ__ New Member

Mexican Spanish

I'm not sure how old is this thread XD

In Mexico we call Easter "Semana Santa" and holydays last two weeks. Unhappily for believers "Semana Santa" has become a holyday period for foreigns to come to party "Spring Break" at the beach, as well as mexicans XD ...
    Religious festivities happen to be grotesque in some cities (cricifixions, flagellations). There is also "La prosecion del silencio" which is kind of dark. You can google it.

Happy Easter :)
  13. __AИDЯФȘȘ__

__AИDЯФȘȘ__ New Member

Mexican Spanish
    You can google it as "Procesion del Silencio San Luis Potosi", that's my home city :) and that city is famous for its Procesion del Silencio.
  14. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    You're absolutely right, Miguel. I often wondered about that, that is, why the same greeting of "Felices Pascuas" can be used for Christmas and Easter?

Actually, here in Mexico, I haven't heard "Felices Pascuas" used at Christmas recently.

Saludos (and Felices Pascuas).
  15. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galego (Rías Baixas)
    In Spain it is Semana Santa too, the vacational period being only of the one week or even just the "holy days" surrounding Easter Sunday - Domingo de Pascua/ Pascua de Resurrección

I don't recall having heard Felices Pascuas applied to Easter in Spain at all, but to the Christmas period only. Here we would say: Que pases una buena semana santa, and most likely referring to the vacational opportunity, not to the religious side of it.

Why Pascua/s for both periods? I think this kind of discussion should belong in the cultural and / or etymology forums, all I can think of now is that the old name for Easter was Pascua Florida* as it marks the beginning of Spring and is thus "flowery", as opposed to the other one that marks the beginning of Winter.

Happy Easter everybody!

PS from Wikipedia:
    "La península de la Florida fue descubierta por Juan Ponce de León un lunes de Pascua de Resurrección. Como la Pascua de Resurrección también se conoce como Pascua Florida, ... , a la península se la llamó: Península de la Florida."
  16. kruonx New Member

"Pascua" is the Christian celebration that commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In Spain, we usually say "Felices Pascuas" (also "Feliz Pascua de Resurrección" or, simply, "Feliz Pascua") after the Easter Vigil (Holy Saturday) and during Easter Sunday, when we celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus.

We never use "Felices Pascuas" before the Easter Vigil because Christ has died and not resurrected yet, so there is nothing to celebrete or be happy about. Not christian people may say something like "¡Qué paséis unas buenas vacaciones!".

Sometimes, the name "Pascua" (and, consecuently, "Felices Pascuas") has spread to other Christian celebrations like Christmas (the birth of Jesus) or Pentecost (the descent of the Holy Spirit). For example, in Chile, "Felices Pascuas" applies colloquially to Christmas, while "Feliz Pascua de Resurrección" is used the Resurrection Sunday or Easter Sunday.

¡Felices Pascuas!
  17. amigas Senior Member

Muchas gracias Kruonx, your answer is very clear.
    ¡Felices Pascuas para ti tambien!
  18. Draszz Member

Spanish, Spain
    Kruonx is almost right. My only correction is that Catholich church celebrates three "Pascuas" ('Pascua' means 'paso', refering that God is among us): 'Pascua de Navidad' (Christmas), 'Pascua de Resurrección' (Easter, the chief cristian celebration) and 'Pascua de Pentecostés' (Pentecost). In earlier times, you said "Feliz Pascua" in any of these times. Nowadays, it is sometimes heard in Christmas but it is mainly used for Eastern. Only in catholic groups you will hear "Feliz Pascua" in Pentecost.

By the way, in Spain, and among believers, 'Pascua' is of course a joyful time. But with 'Pascua' we refers to the time from Resurrection Sunday to Pentecost. Before that days, we celebrate the "Holy Week", meditating the Passion and death of Christ as Kruonx has explained. I completely agree with him to that Christian people (at least, in Spain) may say "¡buenas vacaciones!" or "¡que paséis una buena Semana Santa!" or something like that, but not "Feliz Pascua" before the Easter Sunday.

However, I am now living in Germany and they say "Happy Eastern" for all this time. I am sure it is a cultural thing.

¡Feliz Pascua! ;D
  19. pariscoty New Member

It is no so strange.. USA has different English than UK or Australia.. Even more! they change the way how to spell some words..
    In Spanish we not always use the same words in the different countries, but we never change he spelling in our words.. English is funny and weird..
  20. pariscoty New Member

I'm chilean, and Chile say the same for Christmas.. but we say Feliz pascua o Feliz navidad.. we use both for Christmas.. But we never say feliz pascua for Easter..
  21. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Yes, Felices Pascuas for Merry Christmas has always made me wonder ???
  22. each language is different . It is obvious:)
  23. Uli2001 New Member

College Station, TX
    Portuguese - Brazil
    For whatever it's worth, in Brazilian Portuguese, which is closely related to Spanish, we say "Feliz Páscoa" for Happy Easter (on Sunday) and "Feliz Natal" for Merry Christmas, and we never mix the two up. It is interesting that "Pascua" could apply to Christmas, since it comes from the Hebrew "Pesach" (Passover), which refers to the liberation of the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt (and was celebrated around the time of Christ's death).
  24. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    According to Wikipedia:
    In the narrative of the Exodus, the Bible tells that God helped the Children of Israel escape from their slavery in Egypt by inflicting ten plagues upon the ancient Egyptians before the Pharaoh would release his Israelite slaves; the tenth and worst of the plagues was the death of the Egyptian first-born.
    The Israelites were instructed to mark the doorposts of their homes with the blood of a slaughtered spring lamb and, upon seeing this, the spirit of the Lord knew to pass over the first-born in these homes, hence the English name of the holiday.
  25. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    BTW, Friday, April 3rd is the beginning of Jewish Passover.
  26. freddyJ Senior Member

Español /Inglés
    En méxico se dice : felices pascuas y no se utiliza para navidad.
  27. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    According to the WR dictionary:
    • f. Fiesta que celebran los hebreos en marzo,en memoria de la libertad del cautiverio de Egipto.
    • En la Iglesia católica,fiesta de la resurrección de Cristo,que se celebra el domingo siguiente al plenilunio posterior al 20 de marzo.
    3. P. ext.,cualquiera de las celebraciones del nacimiento de Cristo,de la adoración de los Reyes Magos y de la venida del Espíritu Santo sobre los apóstoles.
  28. Vale2310 Member

In Uruguay we say "Felices Pascuas"