1. foryoublue22 Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the word "feliz" takes an accent on the "i" in certain cases. I've always seen it without, but just recently saw it with. Is this an error or is it accepted for a certain reason?

Thanks for your help!
  2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Se supone que una palabra que termina en Z tiene la tónica en la última sílaba. Si no es así, hay que poner la tilde donde corresponde, eg, "cáliz" (chalice).
    La misma regla con las palabras que terminan en D, L, R, y las demás que no sean vocales ni S o N. (Que me corrijan si se me ha pasado alguna.)

It's assumed that a word ending in anything other than a vowel, an S or an N (basically, D, L, R, or Z) has the stress on the last syllable. If it doesn't, then an accent must be put over the vowel in the stressed syllable, eg. "fácil". "Feliz" ends in Z and has the stress where you would expect it, on the last syllable, so there is no accent mark needed. If you saw one, it was a mistake.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. litelchau Senior Member

De acuerdo. Feliz es aguda, es decir, lleva el acento en la última sílaba. Sólo llevaría tilde si terminara en vocal, N o S.
  4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I'm sure it's a misspelling. The accent is unnecessary, and not used in standard Spanish.
  5. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Have you noticed the recent trend in the U.S. to stick in an apostrophe where it doesn't belong, so that we see signs and memos that say:
    All member's must show ID
    Locker's must be emptied ?

In Spanish, I see people add accent marks where they don't belong, especially when they are writing somehing "official" and don't want to accidentally leave an accent mark out. The most common one is writing ó insead of just o. (There is a rule for the accented version, but 99.9% of the time it does not apply.)
  6. foryoublue22 Member

Thanks all!

jbruceismay, it's interesting that you compare it to all the superfluous (and incorrectly placed) apostrophes in English--makes sense, though!

Since you mentioned it, is the accent over "o" correct between numbers? For example, "7 ó 8"? 
  7. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

It is correct to use ó between numbers, the o alone could be confused with a 0 (zero).

But in your example you must put: 7 u 8 (ocho empieza con o).
  8. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Hola. Felíz es un error.

Por otra parte, en Ortografía de la Lengua Española, de la RAE (1999):

"o / ó
    La conjunción disyuntiva o no lleva normalmente tilde. Sólo cuando aparece escrita entre dos cifras llevará acento gráfico, para evitar que se confunda con el cero. Así, 3 ó 4 no podrá tomarse por el número 304."
  9. zela New Member

Currently, the spelling is without the accent mark: feliz. However, in older texts, I have seen it spelled with the accent mark: felíz. So one can't really say that it is a spelling error, merely old-fashioned.
  10. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Welcome, zela! :)
    If you go back far enough, anything is possible, but for "felíz" to be other than a typo or an error I think it would have to be quite old indeed.
    You are much more likely to see superflous accent marks on words like construído, fuí or fué, since the Royal Academy eliminated them in living memory.
  11. zela New Member

Thank you for your response, Aztlaniano!

You are correct about the instances of the accent; however, the Academy didn't change it, from what I understand, until the 1950's, for whatever reason. Thus the "old-fashioned" term I used. Sometimes, it seems that changes are made simply for changes' sake; the elimination of "ch", "ll", and I believe, "rr" as separate letters for example. Very obviously, I am not a member the the Academy; however, in my opinion, there was a reason for accent marks on the words you mentioned, or they wouldn't have been there to begin with. Having said that, I recognize that one can't turn back the clock, unfortunately.

Again, thank you!
  12. I Love Greece Member

Spanish - Chile

I think that even if the words are old-fashioned and no longer in use, they are really a misspelling if they are no longer accepted by the RAE...

I remembered another one: bien. I've seen many people, mostly adults, put it like this: bién. Well, that is incorrect. The word is bien, so be careful with that too :p
  13. artcraft14 New Member

Actually, no, that rule is no longer correct. The Real Academy has already quit considering this correct since a month ago or so. This is because a computer eliminates the possibility of confusion.
    A long time ago, writing was hand made all the time, so, there was a risk. You may confuse "0" with "O". Nowadays, the Real Academy considers that if there is no risk, there is no necessity of a "danger sign". As a result, from now on, write the letter "O" with out accent no matter what : )
  14. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Del DPD de la propia Real Academia:

3. Por razones de claridad, ha sido hasta ahora tradición ortográfica escribir la o con tilde cuando iba colocada entre números, para distinguirla del cero: 3 ó 4, 10 ó 12. La escritura mecanográfica hace cada vez menos necesaria esta norma, pues la letra o y el cero son tipográficamente muy diferentes. No obstante, se recomienda seguir tildando la o en estos casos para evitar toda posible confusión. La o no debe tildarse si va entre un número y una palabra y, naturalmente, tampoco cuando va entre dos palabras: Había 2 ó más policías en la puerta (correcto: 2 o más); ¿Quieres té ó café? (correcto: té o café).

Así que parece, hoy en día, opcional tildar la "o" que va entre números.

Saludos :)