1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

female drudgery

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shiningstar, Jan 31, 2010.

1. shiningstar

shiningstar Senior Member

Hi,

In the book of "The reign of phallus:...";

"...; and in Chapter 9 sex appeal of female drudgery is shown."

I looked at the definition of drudgery and from there to menial and from menial I came to the definition of slavery which, in my opinion, fits the context more but if I substitute the drudgery with slavery does this substitution change the meaning?

2. mplsray Senior Member

It does change the meaning, yes.

3. shiningstar

Thanks. Then, what does "female drudgery" mean?

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi shiningstar

Here's dictionary.com/Random House on drudgery:

And here's the WRF English definition dictionary entry.

5. shiningstar

Thanks Loob for links. However, I know the definitions of both female and drudgery. The problem is I can't connect them in a proper way in my mind to give me the exact meaning.

I appreciate your help :) Thank you

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Have a look at Chapter 9 in the text you mention: click.

It suggests that women were valued at least in part for their ability to undertake hard monotonous tasks.

7. Jam on toast

Jam on toast Senior Member

UK
    British English
    Hi Shiningstar,
    I like the word "drudgery", because the very sound of the word seems to evoke what it is; boring, repetitive, tedious, basic, uninspiring, boring activity. "Drudgery" is often used for such things as daily household chores, things that need to be done but nobody enjoys.

There's probably a linguistic term for what I'm saying but I don't know it. The Wiki description of phenomenes and psychomemes sounds fairly similar, but here I think I'm straying off topic.

8. shiningstar

I like it too, of course in my own language :) The problem showed up when it has come side-by-side with the word "female". Then I thought that the "female drudgery" actually refers to drudgery that specific to female gender. And the problem is solved.

Thanks everybody.