1. chachi75 New Member

Spanish, Peru
    How do you translate professor when we are talking about a woman.....
  2. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Welcome, chachi!

We still say "un professeur", but you can state the gender with, for example "ma prof' d'histoire, d'anglais, etc..."
  3. Carrie2 Senior Member

English, UK
    But don't forget that "professor" and "professeur" are false friends...;)
  4. mauz80 Senior Member

In Québec people would say une professeure....just as they would say une auteure
  5. Bastoune Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    French & English - Canada
    Not unless you mean a university professor.

In Canada, where most professions are given a feminine counterpart, one will see "une professeure" to denote a female. But this distinction doesn't exist in France. Pieanne does note that one can say in Europe, "une prof" even though "professeur" remains masculine.
  6. roland098 Senior Member

English UK
    I've worked in a French school before and I'm sure the pupils used to say, for example, la prof a dit.....
  7. Bastoune Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    Oh yeah, an in high school, they say "professeur" too! I don't find it a "false friend."
  8. genevieve Senior Member

Montréal, Qc
    French, Canada
    In Quebec, we use enseignante (or should I say I use) because, officially, professeure is not in the dictionary... So if you do not mean to say specifically "university professor", I think you might as well use the generic "teacher": enseignante.
  9. Carrie2 Senior Member

English, UK
    But the thing is that although in French you use "professeur" in schools, the English translation of this is "teacher", not "professor". In English "professor" only refers to the highest rank of university lecturers.
  10. Bastoune Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    That makes sense. Never mind! :) In any case, "enseignant(e)" is a good term to use because it encompasses any sort of teacher.
  11. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Forms such as professeure and auteure always drive me up the wall. In Canada, not just in Quebec, every official document repeats these titles in the masculine and feminine forms, simply to be politically correct. And as a former teacher in Canada, I can say they I was not impressed. The argument was made that women were upset because they were not given their status as women. My argument was that women should be more upset, because now they are not teachers, they are female teachers, they are not authors, but female authors... just another form of discrimination.

And while we're discussing it, why is there no masculine equivalent for personne or victime or sentinelle?

I just find the whole issue silly. I much prefer the French (from France) perspective.
  12. Bastoune Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    I disagree... because then if you want to get technical, "l'homme" also stands for "humankind" whereas "la femme" signifies "women" and "womanhood."

In any case, there are plenty of "feminizations" in France. It's the nature of languages with genders that are forced to evolve with changing social trends.

Women are not "female teachers" they are simply "teachers" who happen to be female.

And in the English-speaking world, let's not forget the clamoring for "chairperson" or "spokesperson" or "-woman" to make everything gender-neutral, which has gotten out of hand.
  13. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Professeur is only masculine whereas prof admits both genders

Le professeur d'histoire de ma fille, Mme Durand,
    le prof de maths, M. Dupont, la prof de français Mme Dubois.
  14. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    I will agree with you on your last point. It is absurd.
  15. roland098 Senior Member

English UK
    Oh, thanks. Makes a kind of sense I suppose, in that the masculine ending in -eur has been taken off.
  16. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

USA, English
    I'm not sure this is all still on-topic, but the father of a daughter, I personally am a big fan of removing any gender-preference from English. I had to work very hard to help my daughter overcome the sense that females are automatically less important than males as she grew up. It may strain the language and produce ugly phrases, but in my personal view, there are bigger things at stake.
  17. chachi75 New Member

Spanish, Peru
    Thanks to all! This really works fast!!!