1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

feminine ending - זאתי

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by rolmich, Jan 2, 2010.

1. rolmich Senior Member

Tel-Aviv/Israel
    french (France)
    This morning, I heard on reshet bet a university professor talking about "Haintegratzia hazoti".
    What bothers me is not so much the first word as I do not always insist on using the hebrew equivalent of foreign words, but the second (as in "Ha isha hazoti"). Is it really necessary to confirm that a substantif is feminin by adding a final 'i' ? Wouldn't "Ha isha hazot" be enough ?
    Thanks for your comments<
    RK

2. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    You're right, hazoti is incorrect.

3. rolmich Senior Member

Tel-Aviv/Israel
    french (France)
    Thank you Tamar, I had the feeling that feminin words do not need to be strengthened !
    This morning, as I was listening to reshet bet, I heard our FM say "Hakhi Cardinali" (most cardinal). "Cardinal" being a superlative also do not need being strenthened !
    (This is not a question, rather a remark).

4. RaLo18 Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Actually, קרדינלי is correct. קרדינל is only the noun, קרדינלי is the adjective.

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    "zoti" is incorrect according to the books but being used so often it practically became part of the language. I believe that "zoti" will find its way to the dictionaries in few decades. That's how new words are formed.

The "i" suffix can make a noun into adjective (not only in Hebrew, see Arabic "nisba"), but also make a foreign-language adjective sound more compatible with Hebrew. The "i" of "zoti" is neither this nor that.

6. rolmich Senior Member

Tel-Aviv/Israel
    french (France)
    RaLo18, "cardinali" when used in hebrew is meant as "superior/dominant" (from its english sense), so that obviously to say "the most superior" or "the most dominant" is a nonsense<
    origumi, I am afraid you are correct, but this "zoti" really gets on my nerves each time I hear it, just like the forced/useless feminization of nouns in french (auteure, professeure).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  7. Maayan Senior Member

Hebrew
    Some people use זאתי to mark a lower register, for example:
    referring to a certain female boss - אוף, זאתי גם כן....נשבר לי ממנה

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    גם כן זאתי
    and not
    זאתי גם כן.

9. anipo Senior Member