fencing under the shield

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Masis, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    To impress the guests they sometimes organized '' fencing under the shield ".

Hello. Please help me with the word under here. I can not understand how the fencing is wedge under the shiled. Is there a posibility of wrang word ussage? Maybe the word is with instead? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. miss sparkles

miss sparkles Senior Member

Pennsylvania, USA
    English-USA
    I have no idea what this means. I'd guess it is a mistake.

3. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    So do I. But let hear the other's opinions.

4. jesusguime Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,
    I think the bolded "the" in your post should be a pronoun "they" or "she," or you don't have a subject in your introductory sentence.

5. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Yes I made mistake. It is redacted now.

6. Night~Owl

Night~Owl New Member

Adelaide
    Australian English
    Hi,

I think "to impress the guests the[y] sometimes organized fencing under the shield" refers to the medieval/early Renaissance practice of "sword and buckler combat".
    The buckler was a small shield, and so you'd have your sword in one hand and buckler in the other to defend yourself against your enemy's sword (and sometimes shield, as it was apparently used as a weapon as well). Although this form of fighting was used on the battlefield, it was also adopted as a sport, and so, presumably, people who practised it as a sport (and not for real) became very good at it - in which case, two experienced people "fencing under the shield" would have been impressive for people who'd not seen it before.

That's what I think it refers to, anyway... (If it does refer to this, then the "under" would probably refer to the fencing being done under the defence of/physically under the buckler/shield (i.e. if you held your shield at shoulder height and attacked your oppenent underneath it) .

Hope that helps!

7. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thanks. Yes this is happened in this period. So I have to translate exactly like under. But it doe not sound god I think:(. Maybe with shield is more propriate?

8. Night~Owl

Night~Owl New Member

Adelaide
    Australian English
    Depends on what language you're translating it into, but yeah, probably "with" (or maybe even "behind" or "about" - "fencing with the shield", "fencing behind the shield", "fencing about the shield" - though it would obviously depend on the different meanings of "with/"behind"/"about" in your translation language).

9. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thanks. In Bulgarian with is exactly what means with. Like I am going to Paris with my wife:))