1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. FrançoisDagand New Member

Grenoble, France
    France / French
    Hi,

I am looking for a translation of the word "Ferrage" in english. This is related to a place I worked in, where all metallic pieces used for constructing automobiles were kept in stock. This place was called the "Magasin Ferrage" in french. I looked for a translation and only found "Ferrage" for the metal parts for shoes. I wonder if this could be considered as correct, since I had not found this word elsewhere before and was a bit surprised of that use.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help, anything would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

FD.

2. beri Senior Member

Paris
    France
    bonjour françois! bienvenue ici. Tu aurais juste dû mettre "ferrage" comme titre :)
    jette un oeil sur les possibilités que t'offre ce dico:
    www.granddictionnaire.com

3. RobInAustin Senior Member

Austin, Texas USA
    US English, French
    I suggest "metalwork" such as the "metalwork storage" building, shed or whatever it was they kept the parts in.

Cheers,
    Rob

4. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Would "fittings" make sense?

5. RobInAustin Senior Member

Austin, Texas USA
    US English, French
    Not in US English. We usually refer to automobile parts as a "catchall" auto parts, regardless of whether they are metal or not. So, I think metalwork is the closest in context to identify specifically the metal parts used?

6. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I cannot think of a single word for metal parts; did your storage facility include all the metal parts, or a specific category: maybe stampings (die cut sheet metal), castings (heavy iron or aluminum engine components), turnings (shafts), or weldments (frames)....

7. FrançoisDagand New Member

Grenoble, France
    France / French
    All of those.