1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fiambres y embutidos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Olmos18, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    I know in Spain these are the terms that are used for what we know as cold cuts in the US. My question is whether or not they are used in Latin America. The other day I was talking to a Mexican man about cold cuts and he had no idea what fiambres or embutidos were, so I'm thinking that perhaps there's another word that is used at least in Mexico. Can anyone out there clear this up? Thanks!

2. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
    Embutidos is any stuffed sausages like chorizo, etc.
    Fiambres is cold cuts
    It's used that way in Puerto Rico.

3. Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin Senior Member

Carnes frías is the same that fiambres

4. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    In Colombia 'embutidos' are any kind of sausage.

'Fiambre' usually refers to food you take to a picnic. It can be any type of food.

We also use the expression "carnes frías" (always plural) to refer to ham and that type of meat.

;)

;)

5. Sellis New Member

Minnesota, USA
    Uruguay (English/Spanish)
    In Uruguay, Embutidos are any sausage, chorizo, pate, meaning anything that is pushed into a thin film covering and tied at the ends. Fiambres are anything such as ham, salami, bologne, cheese. A Fiambre is also a "rude" way to refer to a dead person at a wake! But that is coloquial! Good luck!

6. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Same in Colombia.. LOL:D

7. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    I'd like to mention that in decades past, workers would have what was called "servicio de fiambrera" where they would recieve at their workplace a set of aluminum bowls with hot food delivered. It's not used today since people use microwaves and have fast food anywhere.

8. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Fiambres - cold cuts in the Deli. In fact, it goes back to the same root that gives us the word frío..

9. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    Thanks for all your helpful information. Muchos saludos!

10. tigerlily78 New Member

Mexico, Spanish
    In Mexico... For food, the same for "embutidos". "Fiambre" is not used at all. We use "carnes frías" to refer to cold cuts. Actually, most people will use "embutidos" and "carnes frías" interchangeably (I'm really surprised that the Mexican man didn't know what "embutidos" was!).
    As for the colloquial use of "fiambre"... also for dead people, as well as in hospitals, among doctors, to refer to patients (not very nice, I know).

11. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    I know from experience that many Mexican-Americans that were born or raised in the USA have learned their Spanish from older generations and have never have received any formal language education. Therefore, their vocabulary can be quite small and usually limited to what they heard as a child.
    This is not a negative but a a sign of the huge challenge facing them and sign of the willpower of the people to maintain their heritage.
    The university I work for has a program called bi-literate to teach graduate level professionals who are natively bilingual to be able to carry out their professions in Spanish without sounding like a 19th Century farmhand. (which is what their speech might sound to someone from another Spanish-speaking country)

12. brentjccc Senior Member

Kentucky, USA
    USA, English
    That's funny you should mention the "corpse" definition of "fiambre"... After a year in Argentina, I learned that word as meaning "cold cuts" or a "corpse", but didn't realize the "corpse" definition was unique to Argentina/Uruguay.

But then again, I would venture to say that a great deal of the words/expressions used in Argentina are unique to that country. (Por eso mis amigos me dicen que hablo mas Porteno que Espanol... jeje) ;)

13. stcrocefirenze Senior Member

3cantos,madrid
    español castellano, españa
    dear friends:
    this cold cut thing seems to me more an attempt than a success,it is funny that I have found something similar here in Madrid, in an italo american restaurant, this meal called "pastrami", I guess this pastrami is a mixture of NY taste and italian (como chuletas de sajonia, pero en cutre), but, believe me, there are few things in this world tasting better than un buen bocata de chorizo cantimpalo, ya te digo, o salchichon, y eso que no hablo del jamón porque ya está fuera de toda discusión, what I mean, is that lacking a proper word to mean embutidos is a shame, because, the word is not the point itself, but what the wold means and represents, el chorizo, salchichón,etc, and perhaps we are lucky in anglosaxon countries are not familiar to thise embutidos, in that case it would sure to have a shortage of embutidos in the Iberian country,omg,a good chorizo cantimpalo sandwich is really much better that a s. intercourse, ya te digo! (y si ya le añades queso y un rioja...)