1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fideicomitentes, mandantes, comitentes

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by tiredtranslator, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tiredtranslator Senior Member

Quintana Roo, Mexico
    English, U.S.
    I'm translating a law of credit institutions and there is a phrase which says:
    Responder a los fideicomitentes, mandantes o comitentes, del incumplimiento de los deudores, por los créditos que se otorguen, o de los emisores, por los valores que se adquieran, salvo que sea por su culpa

My attempt:
    Answer to the trustors, operators or principals for the debtor's lack of payment, for the loans they give or for the issuers, for the stocks they acquire, unless it be due to some fault of theirs...

2. jmtquiroga Junior Member

English-U.S.
    I have a contract translation from your province, and I'm working on the same phrase. I'm not sure that "stocks they acquire" would be the correct translation, in this context. What about simply "amounts"?

3. tiredtranslator Senior Member

Quintana Roo, Mexico
    English, U.S.
    No, in this case it wouldn't be amounts because of the context. Valores has a wider meaning in Spanish. If it was just amounts the term that would have been used is montos, cantidades or aporte monetario.

Perhaps "increase in capital" would be correct. That refers to something other than just monetary amounts, doesn't it?

P.S. Quintana Roo isn't a province... it's a state. Mexico doesn't have provinces.

4. jmtquiroga Junior Member

English-U.S.
    Forgive me for saying "province".
    And, I like "increase in capital"! I'll see if it works. Thanks for answering a three-month-old thread!

5. tiredtranslator Senior Member

Quintana Roo, Mexico
    English, U.S.
    You're very welcome!