filler words / слова-"паразиты"

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Achkasov, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Achkasov New Member

Mod note: moved from the Russian forum
    To make it possible for participants from all over the world to follow the discussion, please write your posts in English. Thank you.

What filler words are used in world languages?
    In russian there are:
    как-бы; ну; типа

I believe english has:
    actually; you know
    ________

Какие слова "паразиты" существуют в других языках?
    Первое что пришло на ум в русском это:
    как-бы; ну; типа

Знаю, что в английском "проживают":
    actually; you know

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Sonnia Junior Member

RUSSIAN
    Ещё встомнила kind of like, kind of, kinda, sorta - как бы, типа, вот, вот так вот
    jigamy - эт самое (вместо забытого слова); ну это, как его его там...
    that's the mess we are in; that's the way the cookie crumbles- вот такие пироги, вот такие дела, как-то вот так вот

3. Achkasov New Member

"jigamy", "that's the way the cookie crumbles"

Мне кажется эти фразы и слова (мета-слова?) немного не то:
    они являются заменителями очевидных по контексту слов, а слова паразиты не несут вообще никакой смысловой нагрузки. Хотя эта тема тоже интересная.

4. Sonnia Junior Member

RUSSIAN
    может быть)) У меня препод есть, который постоянно вставляет "эт самое" по поводу и без (как некоторые говорят "ну"), и знакомый человек, который, когда нечего сказать, а возникшую паузу нужно чем-то заполнить, говорит "вот так вот". А моё любимое словечко "вот". Только я, к сожалению, аналогов не нашла в словарях пока. Да и вообще, это частные случаи. Но было бы интерсно узнать, есть ли ещё подобные словечки (я о паразитах) в английском.

5. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Mod note: This thread was moved from the Russian forum. To make it possible for participants from all over the world to follow the discussion, please write your posts in English. Thank you. :)

6. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
    You have different types of fillers (and in Dutch there are tons), what's the kind you're looking for?

7. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    It is not about any specific fillers, as I understand it - but fillers in general.

Another one for English would be "well"; this I think is roughly equivalent to Russian "вот".
    Even though fillers may be used - and often are used - in similar contexts some are just not equivalent:
    "Well, that's what I meant in the first place." - Sounds quite neutral.
    "Actually, that's what I meant in the first place." - This at least to me has a slightly different touch, I'd say this is slightly stronger.
    (But as always with fillers it is important how you say them - stress, intonation etc. can change meaning.)

Here some fillers for German:
    ja - Meaning "yes"; it is very common, much used in colloquial language (as a filler, that is, basically meaning "nothing"): "das ist ja Blödsinn".
    halt - Meaning "hold"; it is especially used in the south (I think), or at least in Austria it is very common: "ich bin halt auch nur ein Mensch".
    gell - No translation possible (root can be traced back to the word for "valid"); this is mainly Austrian and Bavarian (I think), probably also Alemannic-Swabian: "gell, du kommst morgen?"
    eh - Again a very common one (no translation available): "das war ja eh klar!"
    also - This one typically would be used at the beginning of a sentence, similar to English "well" and Russian "вот": "also, zuerst haben wir das gemacht, dann das, und dann ..." - And some that can be used similar: naja, ja also, freilich, gell, ...

And many, many more.

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
  9. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
    A few in Belgian Dutch:

ze(nne) / - at the end of sentences, is used like hoor in Standard Dutch, to reassure the listener in some way or another
    e - at the end of sentences, is somewhat like a tag in English: asks for confirmation
    gast - as a filler only at the end of sentences, the word means 'guy' in Belgian Dutch, it's used in a similar way to Mexican Spanish güey
    (ge)lijk - comparable to English filler like; zo is sometimes used like that as well
    weette / weet je - 'you know'
    allez - you say when you can't quite find your desired wording, before finding it after all or replacing it by dinges instead :D -- allez in itself can also be used to convey indignation or to encourage
    dus - at the beginning of sentences, like 'so'
    awel - like 'well'

some French initial fillers like bon or enfin

and many more..

10. Achkasov New Member

I found that in russian there are also:
    я такой (f. я такая) = i was like, to replace "i've said"/"i say";
    там = literally translated as there
    типа = like

Also, there are lot of placeholder nouns and verbs, but most of them are vulgar.

11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    That could be an interesting and very useful thread for language learners...

In Hungarian the most common fillers (töltelékszavak): nos, tehát, hát, szóval, ugye, izé... vulgar: baszd meg (fuck off) & many many...

12. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

1/ «Λοιπόν» [li'pon] (adv.) --> then, well then < In Classical Gr. the neuter form of the adj. «λοιπός, -ὴ, -όν» lœpós (masc.), lœpḕ (fem.), lœpón (neut.) --> remaining, remaining over (PIE *leikʷ-, to leave); the neut. «λοιπόν» lœpón is used as a filler already in Plato's time (as the impersonal expression «λοιπόν ἐστι»): «λοιπόν ἐστι ἀποδεικνύναι» it remains to prove.

2/ «Ας πούμε» [as 'pume] --> let's say > colloquialism «ασούμε» [a'sume] (considered a vulgarity).

13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Good-day Apmoy, don't you have more short filler words in modern Greek? Ancient Greek is full of short "filler words"....

14. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Well, Ancient Greek is indeed rich with fillers:

«Δὴ» dḕ --> truly, exactly, «νὴ Δὶ» nḕ Dì --> by Zeus, «μὰ» mằ --> particle of affirmation etc

In Modern Greek one can find, «μα» [ma] --> particle of affirmation, «μα» [ma] --> particle of contrast, «ε;» [e?] --> particle used in asking a question etc. but the two I posted earlier are the most common