fine defecazione - Oenology

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by thehaggis555, Feb 27, 2010.

1. thehaggis555 Junior Member

Hi there,

I have the idea that 'defecazione a freddo' in an oenology context would mean 'cold stabilization', but given the use of that term, I am now confused by the term which follws it. 'travaso di fine defecazione'. Is the 'fine defecazione' some kind of product, not an action?

: wine
  2. ectropion

ectropion Senior Member

defecazione del mosto, estrazione dal mosto dell’eccesso di sostanze azotate che esso contiene se prodotto con uve non perfettamente maturate (Vocabolario Treccani).
    "Travaso di fine defecazione" means the decanting at the end of this purifying process (defecation in English as well, see here)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  3. Pumpkin00 Junior Member

you might find this link useful:

Under the heading "defecazione" it explains what the specific "defecazione a freddo" is.

But to me "cold stabilization" seems to be more the equivalent of "stabilizzazione tartarica" as it is explained here:

What makes it unclear is the absense of the adjective "cold" in the italian stabilizzazione tartarica.

Any wine expert to clarify the difference between defecation and cold stabilization?

Thanks a lot.
  4. ectropion

ectropion Senior Member

... and if you try and google cold defecation you will find plenty of matches...
  5. thehaggis555 Junior Member

Thanks guys,

hmm, 'post-stabilization racking/decanting'? Not too sure about that!!
  6. GavinW Senior Member

British English
    No, wait... You're having us on, right? I mean no way can the word in the thread title mean what you're all saying it means. I mean, everyone knows it means something else, right? :eek:
  7. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australian English
    It would seem that 'defecation' also means to clear of dregs, impurities, etc.; purify; refine. The first I've heard of it.
  8. ectropion

ectropion Senior Member

The same happened to me with this technical meaning of defecazione... that's so funny