fire exit signs

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by Jimprofit, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Jimprofit New Member

French
    Hello,
    I'm working on a difficult translation and
    I would like to know how to say in Dutch :
    fire exit signs
    Thanks for your help
    Jim

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
    Met 'nooduitgangbord' of 'nooduitgangbordje' zit je waarschijnlijk wel goed.

3. Jimprofit New Member

French
    Thanks a lot !
    Jim

4. Mzla New Member

English

Is it complete only for Fire Exit sign?

5. Tiphona Junior Member

"Nooduitgangbord" (or "nooduitgangbordje") translates to "emergency exit sign" (singular).

You'd want to use the plural "nooduitgangborden" or "nooduitgangbordjes" if you want to use these to translate "fire exit signs". :)

6. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if the question is if "nooduitgangbordje" covers more than cases where fire is involved, then the answer is yes. "Nood" means "emergency", so whenever there is an emergency, you're supposed to use the "nooduitgang", which is normally a safe, easy and quick way out of the building. Most of the time you'll use the "nooduitgang" to run away from fire, but I suppose "nooduitgangen" could come in handy in case of terrorist attacks, earthquakes and tsunamis as well.

I don't know why "branduitgangbordje" never caught on. Probably because "nood" covers more? On the other hand, why do we say "brandtrap" (= fire escape) rather than "noodtrap"? It's one of those mysteries of language, I guess.