firmar la renuncia - prison context

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by China Girl, Jan 13, 2013.

1. China Girl Senior Member

Please can anyone advise of the meaning and accurate translation of the above in the following context. I am translating an article about the current situation of Basque prisoners in Spain. The writer describes the situation 20 years ago as "o firmas la renuncia o te mueres en la carcel". I've read most of the other "renuncia" threads here but they all refer to resigning from work. I am not sure if in this context the meaning is of confession (of a crime) or renouncing of membership of an organisation (e.g. a Basque group). Can anyone advise of the correct term?
  2. SevenDays Senior Member

Hard to say...
    It does seem odd to "sign the confession of a crime" and avoid jail. If you admit to a crime, then you'll likely go to jail. My guess is that "firmas" means signing a document stating that you'll renounce/give up/quit membership/association/participation in an organization (Basque group): sign this or you'll die/rot in jail. If there is no specific document to sign, then "firmas" is figurative rather than literal. something like: give it up or you'll rot in jail.
    Let's see if anyone is more familiar with this article and the usage of "o firmas"