1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

First - ninth grade + tenth grade

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by La-ragazza-danese, Nov 2, 2009.

1. La-ragazza-danese New Member

Denmark
    Danish
    Hi everybody :)

I would like to know what the equivalent for 1st. to 9.th grade and 10.th grade is in Italian.
    The Danish educational system is different than the Italian one, so I'm not quite sure how to translate it.

First to ninth grade in Denmark goes from the ages 5/6 to 14/15
    Tenth grade from 15/16 to 16/17.

The way I understand it, it is a mix of scuola elementare, media and superiore, when translated.

How would you go about this? I might add, that this is for my CV, so it's important for me that it is correct.
    I hope someone can shed some light on this. Thank you very much in advance.

: education
  2. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
    Hi there, :)

The Italian system works as follows:
    "Scuola elementare" - 5 years from age 5/6 to 10/11
    "Scuola media inferiore", commonly referred to as "Scuola media" - 3 years from age 10/11 to 13/14
    "Scuola media superiore", commonly referred to as "Scuola superiore" - 5 years from age 13/14 to 18/19.
    There is a general examination at the end of all three schools.

So you should translate your "1st grade" with prima elementare, your 9th grade with quarta superiore and your 10th grade with quinta superiore.
    I obviously don't know the text you are translating, but it may also be appropriate to leave those numbers untranslated and give a short explanation in Italian equivalent terms. For instance: "la nona classe del sistema danese, corrispondente alla quarta superiore italiana".

3. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Hello and welcome!:)

Read this, it should tell you what you need to know.

4. La-ragazza-danese New Member

Denmark
    Danish
    Thank you so much both of you! You have been really helpfull :)

MünchnerFax: I'm translating my Curriculum, but I think you're right that I might need to explain the equivalent in Danish on there as well.

london calling: Thanks for the link. I didn't even think of looking there myself.

5. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Hi there,
    ;)

So is "third grade" "terza elementare"?
    Grazie mille.
    :)

6. La-ragazza-danese New Member

Denmark
    Danish
    Hi :)

I'm still not quite sure, since it's difficult (at least for me) to translate the Italian school system to the one of other countries. But I would simply translate it like you did - 3rd grade as terza elementare, since a person would be around 9 or 10 when attending 3rd grade.

7. raffavita

raffavita Senior Member

Rome
    italian
    Ciao ragazza-danese.
    Grazie mille.
    :)

8. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    That of course depends on which country you're talking about.;) In the UK we don't talk about "grades", we talk about "years".

Have a look at this, ladies!:)

9. La-ragazza-danese New Member

Denmark
    Danish
    That's true :) I think it would be easier to convert the years, compared to names like Primary or Secondary school, because they mean something so different from each country and the length of it, varies as well.

10. danielpsico Senior Member

tuscany
    italia italiano
    I am not quite sure yet; I am sorry about that: is (in USA, at least) the "third grade" our Italian "terza elementare"? Ciao

11. ToWhomItMayConcern Senior Member

English (U.S.) & Italiano [native bilingual]
    Basically, yes. "nth grade" means "n° anno di studi." Unlike in Italy, in the U.S. the actual configuration and organization of schools may vary; for instance, for most students "8th grade" now refers to the third year of middle school, but for some it actually is the second year of junior high school. This is different from Italy, where the 8th year of schooling is always "terza media." So, in the U.S. we cannot identify "nth grade" with a particular year in a particular school as we do in Italy, and we simply say "nth grade" to mean "nth year of schooling."