1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"first thing in the morning" = "first thing tomorrow" ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by prankstare, Oct 4, 2008.

1. prankstare Senior Member

São Paulo
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hey there, again. :)

Can "I'll see you first thing tomorrow" be an alternative way to say "I'll see you first thing in the morning", as the latter being a more common used expression of course?

And yes, good people. I have already searched about this issue in the forum database but no existing threads have been found about this particular question.

2. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    "First thing in the morning" may refer to tomorrow morning, or it may be some other time.

The village fete will be held on the first of next month. The marquees will be put up first thing in the morning. = in the future

If you want to keep your job, you'll have that spreadsheet on my desk first thing in the morning! I don't care if you spend the night here!
    = tomorrow morning

3. prankstare Senior Member

São Paulo
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Oh, OK. Thanks for the additional information 'Brioche'. :)

But the thing is really about the "first thing tomorrow" instead; so I'd assume both expressions cited in my first post are not intermingled, and so one cannot be used rather than the other -- am I right?

4. St. Nick Senior Member

English
    Usually both can be used interchangeably. But, if the speaker works an afternoon or night shift, his or her "first thing tomorrow" might not coincide with morning hours.

5. prankstare Senior Member

São Paulo
    Portuguese - Brazil

Ohh, alright.

Thanks very much for the help, both of you. :)

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Some years back, my work day ran from 3:30 in the afternoon to midnight. If I promised my boss to do something "first thing tomorrow", I meant that I would do it around 3:35 P.M. As noted above, this would not at all have meant the same thing as "first thing in the morning".

7. prankstare Senior Member

São Paulo
    Portuguese - Brazil

Hey 'GreenWhiteBlue'.

Hum, okay. I get it. Thanks a bunch. ^^