1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

First thing in the morning

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What does "First thing in the morning" mean? Is there another way to say it instead of morning, can I say here afternoon, evening and so on or not?

2. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    I think of "first thing in the morning" as referring to when I get up. Or having to meet with people, when they first get up. It could also refer to the very first thing I do:

Example: First thing in the morning I'll take out the garbage. (As soon as I wake up and dress, I'll do this thing, probably before eating.)

This is yet another phrase I've used all my life and never thought about. So some other people might have better explanations.

3. roxy

roxy Junior Member

Ireland, English and Irish
    I think Gaer's explanation is pretty thorough. It just refers to the time you plan to do something.

You could say I'll do it next week, or I'll do it tomorrow evening. If you say I'll do it first thing in the morning it means that you'll do it when you get up, before you do other things like go to work or school etc.

4. Banku

Banku New Member

Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.
    United States / English
    I completely agree with the definitions put forth by the previous posters.

"First thing in the evening" or "first thing in the afternoon" would be correct, but these phrases are used very rarely, if at all.

5. mylam Senior Member

Texas
    United States English
    Right, Banku.

But these phrases also have a different meaning.

6. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    You do say "last thing at night", so...........I guess this is a pair. You do also say just "I'll see you first thing", where it is implicit that it is in the morning. So this evidence tends to exclude "first thing in the afternoon" although i suppose it's not impossible. It's easier if "first thing" follows an event such as " I"ll see you first thing after lunch". Likewise for "I"ll see you first thing in the evening" , easier to say "I'll see you first thing after work" for example. Anyway, you would never say "I'll see you first thing at night" presumably because most people are asleep at night !

Hope this helps

Rodger:)

7. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Is there another way to say "First thing in the morning" instead, something shorter probably or not?

8. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    This may or may not answer your question. Imagine for a moment that I plan to DO something tomorrow, "first thing in the morning". I might say, to my wife:

I'll do it as soon as I get up.

That's not shorter, but this works for those of us who have different working hours. I only get up in the morning once a week. Normally I do not start work until 14:00 (2 PM), so I get up in the early afternoon. I might also say:

I'll do it when I get up. (As soon as I get up is implied.) However, this could also be used after a nap too. If you want to make "morning" clear, I can't think of a shorter way.

Gaer

9. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hola Gaer;
    You beat me to it..."AS SOON AS" or there is as everyone here says "RFN"
    but we will not get into the meaning of that one...
    te gato;)
    te gato

10. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    RFN? Do I dare ask? :)

11. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    gaer;
    Not really.....Right F***ing now!
    SSSOOOORRRRRYYYY>
    te gato;)

12. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Oh!

(That's quite another matter, never mind…) [​IMG]

13. ThePopesWife New Member

North Carolina, USA
    english - american
    For a shorter option, you can just say "First thing." As in, "I'll call the bank first thing." That you will do it tomorrow, or in the morning is implied. Although, saying "first thing" also seems to imply that you have a list of things to do and you're not going to get around to it quite as soon as "First thing in the morning." It just means that it's one of your top priorities of things to do.

Smile! : )
    Shirlyn

14. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    Also 'first thing after lunch, first thing after my nap' etc. I think it's pair when matched with in though.

15. maque Senior Member

Farsi
    What is correct:

The first thing I do in the morning is checking my email.

or

The first thing I do in the morning is check my email.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  16. pwmeek

pwmeek Senior Member

SE Michigan, USA
    English - American
    The second.