1. šeherezada Senior Member

croatia croatian

Is fish countable or uncountable noun? For example: "There are many fish in the sea" or "There are many fishes in the sea"?
    Can fishes be used in some other example or it doesn't exist?
  2. YaniraTfe Senior Member

Canary Islands, Spain
    español (España)

You may find interesting what The Oxford University Press Dictionary says about it:

fishnoun, verbnoun (pl.fish or fishes)Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish.1 [C] a creature that lives in water, breathes through gills, and uses fins and a tail for swimming: They caught several fish.tropical / marine / freshwater fishshoals (= groups)of fisha fish tank / pondThere are about 30 000 species of fish in the world.The list of endangered species includes nearly 600 fishes.Fish stocks in the Baltic are in decline.In the pool she could see little silvery fish darting around.—see also coarse fish, flatfish, sea fish, shellfish, wet fish
    2 the flesh of fish eaten as food: frozen / smoked / fresh fish
    fish pieThe chef’s fish dishes are his speciality.Fish forms the main part of their diet.
  3. chill46 Banned

USA, English
    Fish is always Fish. The only people who say fishes are those uneducated or kids.
  4. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I don't think 700,000 scholars should be called kids or uneducated, the other 11,000,000 people may very well be just that.
    I think the quote by YaniraTfe is quite accurate. :)
  5. maghanish2 Senior Member

United States - English
    I think both are equally used and equally accuarte. Although one may technically be correct, since both are used so often, I would say that it is completel okay to use them both. Although, my personal choice would be fish.
  6. chill46 Banned

USA, English
    I understand that the dictionary says one may be used, but in everyday speech you will encounter fish more than fishes about 1 million to one. It is also right in your language to say "Será necesario que supiere" en lugar de "sepa"..según la gramatica but you NEVER hear the future subjunctive used. Use the books and say fishes, you will look uneducated and people will give you a funny look
  7. chill46 Banned

USA, English
    language also changes...I believe that those who use fishes are using it for emphatic purposes, or to draw attention If you accept the evolutionary change in english you will say fish. Keep in mind that my opinion is coming from the USA..although it's doubtful the brits say fishes, they MAY
  8. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Both are correct but fish is preferred. As the dictionary says fishes may be used :
    Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish. Which excludes it for counting ten fish for example. In the US the use of fishes as a countable noun is unfortunately not accepted by most speakers and is perceived negatively. Although it can be heard, as in the TV mafia phrase "sleeping with the fishes."
  9. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    There are millions of fish in the sea,

There are many species of fishes in the sea.
  10. bernaljg Member

United States, Spanish/English
    Both mhp and MarcB are correct in my opinion. Common usage dictates the use of "fish" as the plural in any case. Using "fishes" does have an archaic feeling to it, and some like chill46 might feel it says something about the speaker's age or education. Another example, to add to MarcB's excellent one, is the very common "the loaves and the fishes", though in this case the biblical source betrays its archaic nature.
  11. tonymezcal Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Mexican Spanish
    Just as an example: The British Band Radio Head has a great song called "Weird Fishes". I love it!