Fit a square peg into a round hole

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by OneStroke, Jul 28, 2014.

1. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    In Chinese: 方枘圓鑿 方枘圆凿 fāng ruì yuán záo 'like a square tenon for a round mortise'

It comes from the Chu Ci (written during the Warring States period, i.e. around 400-200 BC), and predates the coining of the English phrase by around 2000 years.
  2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian I can only think of пытаться совместить несовместимое (try to combine uncombinable / try to match unmatchable)
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek one tries to square a circle:
    «Τετραγωνίζω τον κύκλο» [tetraɣo'nizo toɲ‿'ɬiklo] --> to square the circle (the perennial challenge for ancient Greek geometers, mathematicians and philosophers since Anaxagoras of Clazomenae 510-428 BCE)
  4. Словеса Senior Member

Interesting. In Russian, квадратура круга refers to an unsolvable problem in general, not just to combining unmatchable objects together.
  5. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Guess you don't have an idiom for this expression either. Because I'd say the same in my language "combine uncombinable things".
  6. arielipi Senior Member

Hebrew has the same:
    לרבע את המעגל lerabe'a et hama'agal.
  7. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

In Italian: "Cercare la quadratura del cerchio" (literally, to try to square the circle).
  8. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog:ang hugis na may sulok ay ilapat sa bilog!
  9. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    What are the possible English translations for cercare in this example?
  10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: "de kwadratuur van de cirkel" (but no verb, as far as I can see). Het onmogelijke proberen, 'to try the impossible', is an expression but not very attractive.

I found an expression I never use: "Je kunt van een kikker geen veren plukken" (you can't pluck a frog's feathers).