1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

fitter/more fit

Discussion in 'English Only' started by piraña utria, Sep 8, 2008.

1. piraña utria

piraña utria Senior Member

Cartagena de Indias.
    Spanish - Colombian with Caribbean nuanc
    Hi my friends:

I have a little doubt about this sentence because of its use of “more fit”:

As you become more fit, you'll complete the same walk in less time.

I can’t recall a precise rule or some style’s suggestion, but I supposed, according to the syllable number of “fit”, that in this case the author had to use “fitter” instead of “more fit”.

Is it wrong or someone could explain me the rule or exception which permit to apply “more fit” in this case?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,,

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Hi,

You are quite right. The general rule for comparative and superlative forms of adjectives would suggest that all one-syllable adjectives are formed using -er and -est. So, in theory, "fitter" and "fittest" should be used; however, in reality there are many adjectives that don't "follow the rules"! I can't explain why "fit" is one of them. In this specific case, it may be that the author of the sentence liked the contrast between "more fit" and "less time," and that this is a stylistic choice.

I can also say that "fitter" and "fittest" sound ugly!!! Finally, almost all articles on fitness tend to use "more fit" and "most fit"; however, I can't explain why this is so. You could certainly say, "As you become fitter, you'll complete the same walk in less time," and everyone would understand you. In my experience, however, few native AE speakers would do so.

3. marky1991

marky1991 Senior Member

Hmm...I definitely would say "more fit". I looked it up on the internet, but couldn't find anything about it, other than people saying that "more fit" sounds better. There may be a rule, but if there is I don't know it.

Sorry,
    Mark

4. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    I agree, except in the case of "survival of the fittest"... "Survival of the most fit" does not sound right.

5. piraña utria

Cartagena de Indias.
    Ok fellas, I've got it.

Thanks a lot,

6. guiri_luchando Junior Member

Valencia - España
    ENGLISH - England
    Both are correct.

I think "as your fitness improves" would sound better though...

7. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I note that all the other posts so far come from AE speakers. To me, as a BE speaker, 'fitter' not only doesn't sound ugly, it sounds the only possible grammatical form! There are so many grammatical and syntactical differences between AE and BE. Not just vocabulary (pants/trousers) but things like fit/fitter, gotten/got. We all like our own version best! :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  8. piraña utria

Cartagena de Indias.
    Hi:

By the way, I’ve forgotten to say that the lines were literally extracted from a Reader’s Digest article (AE).

Regards,