1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. ladymarione Senior Member

french
    Bonjour,

Que veut dire five-fixture bath?

Residences include a kitchen, living room, dining room, powder room, bathroom for each bedroom with a five-fixture bath with separate soaking tub and shower

je ne propose rien car je n´´ ai aucune idée...

Merci

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

a fixture is simply a piece of plumbing (tap, faucet, etc.) It doesn't specify anything more to me than that. We might say the bathtub has chrome fixtures. I never heard anyone give a count of them though...

3. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    Wildan, I'm baffled, as Google seems to have many occurences for 2-, 3-, etc. up to 7-fixture bath, as a rating of the quality of the stuff. And each occurence is stated so matter-of-factedly that I was sure it was some obvious piece of American culture.
    :confused:

4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I am usually half asleep when I stumble into the shower in the morning--maybe I am just clueless compared to the rest...!

EDIT: I just googled this and realize that in this context fixture refers to the whole plumbing unit, not the "fixtures" on each one. So a basic North American bathroom is three-fixture: toilet, sink and bathtub. Four-fixture might be a bathroom with two sinks (not so uncommon over here). Then maybe add a bidet (5), a separate shower stall (6)--I can't think of what else you could add to make it 7--let's ask Donald Trump!

5. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Commun ou non, comment le traduire ?
    Baignoire munie de cinq accessoires ?

Edit based on Wildan's edit

Salle de bains comportant cinq appareils sanitaires ?

6. Gargamelle Senior Member

I've never heard of a 5-fixture bath, either. We talk about "half baths" (sink and toilet only) and "full baths" (sink, toilet, tub and/or shower). I've even heard of a three-quarter bath (sink, toilet, shower but no tub)...that was how the real-estate agent described the 2nd floor bathroom in the house we moved into when I was 10 years old. I haven't heard of one since then.

Gargamelle

7. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    OK ! Then bath means bathroom / salle de bain, not baignoire!
    I'm afraid there is no equivalent in French - we would just enumerate the fixtures (lavabo double, baignoire, WC)

8. Gargamelle Senior Member

I googled and also checked ask.com. A fixture is the plumbing unit, which is connected to a drain by definition.

So....sink, tub, toilet, shower stall, second sink, whirlpool tub, bidet

"x-fixture" seems to be used mainly by builders, home inspectors, and hoteliers. It's not used in everyday conversation, at least not around here.

G

9. ladymarione Senior Member

french
    alors peut être une salle de bain complète ou intégralement équipée? qu´en pensez-vous?

10. Gargamelle Senior Member

I think it's more specific than that. I like eguele's suggestion: Salle de bains comportant cinq appareils sanitaires

If you don't need to be so specific, your salle de bain complète sounds good.

Gargamelle