1. ladymarione Banned

Que veut dire five-fixture bath?

Residences include a kitchen, living room, dining room, powder room, bathroom for each bedroom with a five-fixture bath with separate soaking tub and shower

je ne propose rien car je n´´ ai aucune idée...

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

a fixture is simply a piece of plumbing (tap, faucet, etc.) It doesn't specify anything more to me than that. We might say the bathtub has chrome fixtures. I never heard anyone give a count of them though...
  3. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    Wildan, I'm baffled, as Google seems to have many occurences for 2-, 3-, etc. up to 7-fixture bath, as a rating of the quality of the stuff. And each occurence is stated so matter-of-factedly that I was sure it was some obvious piece of American culture.
  4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I am usually half asleep when I stumble into the shower in the morning--maybe I am just clueless compared to the rest...!

EDIT: I just googled this and realize that in this context fixture refers to the whole plumbing unit, not the "fixtures" on each one. So a basic North American bathroom is three-fixture: toilet, sink and bathtub. Four-fixture might be a bathroom with two sinks (not so uncommon over here). Then maybe add a bidet (5), a separate shower stall (6)--I can't think of what else you could add to make it 7--let's ask Donald Trump!
  5. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Commun ou non, comment le traduire ?
    Baignoire munie de cinq accessoires ?

Edit based on Wildan's edit

Salle de bains comportant cinq appareils sanitaires ?
  6. Gargamelle Senior Member

I've never heard of a 5-fixture bath, either. We talk about "half baths" (sink and toilet only) and "full baths" (sink, toilet, tub and/or shower). I've even heard of a three-quarter bath (sink, toilet, shower but no tub)...that was how the real-estate agent described the 2nd floor bathroom in the house we moved into when I was 10 years old. I haven't heard of one since then.

7. JeanDeSponde

JeanDeSponde Senior Member

France, Lyon area
    France, Français
    OK ! Then bath means bathroom / salle de bain, not baignoire!
    I'm afraid there is no equivalent in French - we would just enumerate the fixtures (lavabo double, baignoire, WC)
  8. Gargamelle Senior Member

I googled and also checked ask.com. A fixture is the plumbing unit, which is connected to a drain by definition.

So....sink, tub, toilet, shower stall, second sink, whirlpool tub, bidet

"x-fixture" seems to be used mainly by builders, home inspectors, and hoteliers. It's not used in everyday conversation, at least not around here.

9. ladymarione Banned

alors peut être une salle de bain complète ou intégralement équipée? qu´en pensez-vous?
  10. Gargamelle Senior Member

I think it's more specific than that. I like eguele's suggestion: Salle de bains comportant cinq appareils sanitaires

If you don't need to be so specific, your salle de bain complète sounds good.