Five foot two

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Haroon, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Haroon Senior Member

C A I R O
    Arabic-Egypt
    Hi all, ..how could this pharse be expressed in Arabic ?.. Context : He met a friend at School of fine Arts who was slim , with five foot two. ( .. is it corrcet to say five feet two ?).

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    It's just a measurement.

"Five foot two" = 5' 2'' = 5 feet and 2 inches = about 1 meter and 57.5 centimeters.

Your sentence contains some mistakes:

He met a friend at the School of Fine Arts who was slim , with and five foot two.

Also, this is probably a first-time meeting, so I would say "made a friend," and not "met a friend," which means that he encountered somebody who was already his friend.

In response to your question, I would not say "He's five feet two." I would say either "He's five foot two" or "He's five feet two inches tall." In other words, I would use "foot" (singular) without the word "tall" but "feet" (plural) as well as the word "inches" with the word "tall." I have no idea why, but that's the way it is.

3. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Just to follow up on what elroy said foot (s) is used as an adjective feet(pl) is used for the measurement itself.

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Well, I would say that "five foot two" (i.e. the whole phrase) functions as a single adjective. So just as you can say "He is thin" or "He is strong," you can say "He is five foot two" (but you obviously wouldn't say "He is foot").

I think that's what you were trying to say, but I just wanted to clarify. :)

5. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Yes there aren't many people who are one foot.:)