Five star hotel over dinner [Five-star hotel. Over dinner.]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by oswal, Jan 6, 2013.

1. oswal Member

What does one mean when he says "Five star hotel over dinner"

I came across this phrase on a T.V advertisement ,a person saying this while planning for his date.
  2. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    What is the entire sentence that was said? We need the entire context to help you, and this phrase is taken out of context.
  3. oswal Member

This a T.v commercial , where a person is discussing with his friend as to where to take her girl friend to propose , the advertisement starts with 2 person sitting on the couch and one friend saying " five star hotel over dinner".

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    "Five star hotel. Over dinner".

This means "I will propose to her at a five-star hotel during dinner."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  5. Imber Ranae Senior Member

English - USA
    It's hard for me to imagine any question to which the answer "Five star hotel. Over dinner" wouldn't sound odd. Certainly "At a five star hotel. Over dinner", or perhaps even "A five star hotel. Over dinner" would work if the question were "Where do you plan to propose to her?", for example.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  6. gramman

gramman Senior Member

Mr. Bradford, you have an ear for, er …, I mean an eye for written dialogue that I lack. I was thinking that this was one sentence. The literal meaning, of course, is the same, but it seems very likely that the line was written and spoken as two sentences, to provide a stylistic effect.
  7. tomtombp Senior Member

It means to me: Propose your girlfriend in a five star hotel, while having dinner. "over dinner"=while having dinner.
  8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    I don't have a problem with a single fragment rather than two fragments related to where and how to propose:

Five-star hotel over dinner.