Flóculo

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by LenguaTec, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LenguaTec Junior Member

Guayaquil, Ecuador
    English-Vancouver, CANADA
    Specialized terminology in the petroleum/generation industry.

How do you say "floculos" in English?

Example:
    Floculos acuosos producto del tratamiento de floculación, con polímero catiónico con sal inorgánica al 10% con sultafo de aluminio.

It's a description of sludge coming from a deep oil well. It is assumed that there is a large water content. Here's my shot:

Aqueous floc(?) as a product of flocculation treatment, with cationic polymer, 10% inorganic salt and aluminum sulphate.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Marxelo

Marxelo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano Rioplatense
    Aqueous floccules.

3. The Amazing Translaman Junior Member

Thailand, Malaysia
    English - UK/US, Translamannic
    "Floccules" is correct, and not "flocculi" (pl. of Latin "flocculus"), because the latter word is usually reserved for the anatomy of the brain or gas clouds on the sun's surface. I came across this term in a translation about a drinking water ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis purification system.

Dictionary definition of floccule:
    "A small, loosely held mass or aggregate of fine particles, resembling a tuft of wool and suspended in or precipitated from a solution." OR "A small loosely aggregated mass of flocculent material suspended in or precipitated from a liquid."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Aparte de todo, sería tal vez más fácil que los foreros ayudaran con esta duda si se escribiera correctamente: "flóculo", con tilde.
    Saludetes,
    D

5. The Amazing Translaman Junior Member

Thailand, Malaysia
    Daniel,

Agreed, and some people may not have found their answer due to that missing accent, but shouldn't you have written "ayudarán" instead of "ayudaran" in your reply? Of course, that's not so critical because it's not the keyword of the thread. I just want to make sure of that because, here in this forum, many people are learning Spanish and it can be unhelpful to them if they see any Spanish written incorrectly, even though it's normally just a matter of a typo, in most cases.

6. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Because it's a conditional clause, in "que los foreros ayudaran", the verb "to help" is conjugated in the third person plural subjunctive imperfect. With a tilde, the verb is conjugated in the third person plural future indicative.

Otherwise, "flóculo" is also known in English as flock.
    Regards,
    D

7. The Amazing Translaman Junior Member

Thailand, Malaysia
    OK, Daniel, I learned something today. No doubt you're right about those complex verb tenses! You're the native Spanish speaker, after all.

"Flock" may well be correct, but doesn't sound as precise as "floccule", which has a specialized ring to it. The sample sentence by the thread initiator refers to "flocculation", so it makes sense to combine that with "floccule". I think we should reserve "flock" for sheep, birds and wallpaper. (I think "flock wallpaper" may be a British term not widely used outside the UK, but I could be wrong on that. According to my Google search, most "flock wallpaper" hits seem to be from the UK, but no matter because this is a complete digression from the subject!)

8. LenguaTec Junior Member

Guayaquil, Ecuador
    English-Vancouver, CANADA
    Sorry about not putting the accent on "flóculo". To be honest, the text I took it from didn't have the accent, and being the first time i'd seen the word, I didn't know that it needed an accent. Thanks for the help!

9. Zahella Senior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    Muchas gracias, Amazing Translaman! Esta información me ha servido muchísimo.