Flemish vs. French

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by dihydrogen monoxide, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    How do Flemish people feel towards French people regarding the Flemish language/dialect (disputed) and do they think it's getting worse or could it be prevented? Do Flemish people fear for their language because of the French?
    How do the Dutch speaking people look upon Flemish language and vice versa? Is it different from French, if yes, in what way?
    I've heard that there are subtitles in Flemish if something is Dutch. How does Belgium government treat Flemish community and Flemish speaking people and what do Flemish people think about the French language.
    Do Flemish people speak French and do French people speak Flemish?

2. Piotr_WRF Senior Member

Poland
    Polish, German
    I'm a little confused by your post. Do you mean by French the people of France or is it the French language spoken by the Walloons in Belgium? I suppose your post is about the Flemish/Walloon conflict in Belgium but it's not that clear.

3. silvia fernanda

silvia fernanda Senior Member

Spanish
    I think dihydrogen refers to the French language spoken by Wallons in Belgium, and their never ending conflict.

4. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    That's right.

5. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    Quite a lot of questions...
    No dispute at all, just a set of very tenacious misconceptions about the words Dutch and Flemish. See here.
    In short: Flemish people speak as much "Flemish" as Americans speak "American", nada, noppes, nikske.

Most Flemish are Dutch speaking... so what do you mean?

Whether "Flemish" is different from French??? I think I misunderstand the question, but if not: It is probably as different from French as Italian is different from German.

As for the "political" questions: Le Monde has quite a lot of articles about Belgium (Flanders, Brussels, Wallonia)... in French.

Groetjes,

Frank

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    You didn't misunderstand my question it was meant as a political question. In other words:
    a) How do French understand and treat Flemish (people not language)?
    b) How do Dutch understand and treat Flemish (people not language)?
    As for the political questions, are there any articles about Belgium in Flemish?

7. Grop

Grop Senior Member

Provence
    français
    Do you really mean French people, not French-speaking Belgians? I suspect the opposite.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. dihydrogen monoxide Senior Member

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    Yes, my mistake I meant French-speaking Belgians.

9. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,
    In Flemish??? Mor joenge toch...
    In Dutch you mean?
    Yes, you find a lot of information here, here, here, here (Flemish newspapers, hence in Dutch), here, here, here, here (websites of a few Flemish political parties, from center to right winged Flemish nationalistic to extreme right Flemish nationalistic, hence in Dutch).

Groetjes,

Frank

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008