Discussion in 'English Only' started by MinaDidi, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MinaDidi Senior Member

English, USA
    So, a native English speaker posting an English usage question!

What are people's thoughts on how to express different levels of language proficiency on resumes? I think "fluent" and "beginning" are pretty standard, but how about in between? What are people's opinions on the expectations of "proficiency"?

My specific concern relates to "proficient" not sounding *advanced* enough to my ear. Is "advanced proficient" acceptable? Thoughts? Thanks!

2. In the UK we categorise proficiency as

3. MinaDidi Senior Member

English, USA
    Thanks! So, in this case, you mean without using the word "proficient" at all, right? Just a choice of the 4 categories for each language?
  4. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Here's another from McGraw-Hill: Beginning, Early Intermediate, Intermediate, Proficient, and Above Proficient.
  5. Beginner

Hi Mina,

I've squeezed in "proficient" after "advanced" because we do, in fact, use the word "proficient".

Does this help?

6. MinaDidi Senior Member

English, USA
    Yes thanks! I think the bottom line is that there is no established standard for how to describe the different levels. You all have definitely given me a great guide...although I wonder if proficient doesn't belong between "intermediate" and "advanced."
  7. Liuk99 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I am writing a CV using the European Format, and the languages section is divided into 3 categories: Understanding, Speaking and Writing.
    I suppose the word Fluent can be referred only to the speaking ability, am I right?
    What would you use for the others then?
  8. Geysere Senior Member

Chinese - China
    I have the same question! And how about for reading? Is "advanced" the best word?