1. sasmith Junior Member

Does anyone know what the Spanish for 'football strip' might be ?

I was in Spain recently, and my friend was hunting out a strip for his son, and when asking in shops etc, I found myself resorting to things like 'las ropas que equipos de fútbol llevan'.

With such a footballing nation as Spain I'm sure there must be a term for football strip (bearing in mind also, that this term conveys the context of a specific team's strip - Real Madrid, or whoever - rather than simply 'clothes for playing football in').

Grateful for any suggestions.

2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I usually call it a kit rather than a strip, but anyway in Spanish I think I'd say equipación.

Let's see if others agree.

If it's just the footie shirt, you can say camiseta de fútbol.
  3. coquis14

coquis14 Senior Member

Entre Macrilandia/Chamamélandia
    Español ,Argentina

¿Conjunto? , Is that what you are looking for?

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I've often seen "uniforme" used.
  5. SevenDays Senior Member

6. sasmith Junior Member

Cheers for that guys - equipación certainly sounds like the ticket. Isn't funny how so many foreign words make total sense and seem somehow, well, guess-able once you know what the are !

It never occurred to me look on some team online shops - doh!

In the end we got the equipación (which was for Seville, by the way) from El Corte Inglés.

7. coquis14

coquis14 Senior Member

Entre Macrilandia/Chamamélandia
    Español ,Argentina
    From what I see , it all depends on the region. "Equipación" will be certainly misunderstood here.:thumbsdown:

8. IreneLC New Member

Spanish - Spain

in Spain we call it EQUIPACIÓN. The guys were right, when shopping for strips you would say "Busco la equipación del Real Madrid/Barcelona/other" (Im looking for the Real Madrid strip). The equipación would be the entire "kit", that is shirt and shorts. If your friend just wanted to get the t-shirt and not the kit he could have just said "Busco la camiseta del Real Madrid", that works too :)