1. The_Calling Senior Member

Good everning nice people ^^ I would be really thankful if you tell me whether there's a difference between Soccer and Football or not, if you know where both of those words are said, some people told me in America people use Soccer and europeans use Football, thank you in advance, it's a stupid doubt but also it's good to know. ^^
  2. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Yes, Europeans and Latin Americans ssy football (futból in Spanish). Americans say soccer, perhaps to distinguish it from American football.

3. coquis14

coquis14 Senior Member

Entre Macrilandia/Chamamélandia
    Español ,Argentina
    Football is british whereas soccer is american, in fact , their league is called "Major League Soccer".

4. Maximus07

Maximus07 Senior Member

Northern California
    In the United States if you say football you are reffering to the NFL.(www.nfl.com)

If you say soccer you are reffering to the MLS ()
  5. The_Calling Senior Member

I really thank you all for this little doubt. ^^
  6. Chez Senior Member

English English
    In the UK we use soccer and football equally to refer to the British game of soccer. We say American fooball if we mean the American game.
  7. The_Calling Senior Member

Thank you Chez for your help, I will try to use these words properly. ^^
  8. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    You see both words here, but I think "football" is dominant. I go to a lot of matches, and I've never heard anyone say "Both teams played good soccer". All the Premiership clubs have the words "Football Club" in their name; none has "Soccer Club". I think most instances of "soccer" in the UK are designed to prevent confusion with rugby or to appeal to a non-UK audience that knows the game as "soccer" (as in the magazine "World Soccer", which is produced in the UK).
  9. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I respectfully disagree. I don't think it is equal. The word football is predominantly used in UK English, although you will see and hear the word soccer.

Being a life-long football fan, the word soccer makes me shudder! :warn:
  10. The_Calling Senior Member

Hahaha ^^ okay! thank you all for your answers, it really helped me... thank you Masood and sound shift :)
  11. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Although, like rugger as a way of referrring to rugby, it is a word of entirely English origin. The word comes from "Assoc", which is the abbreviation for "Association". Soccer and rugger were two forms of football, with "soccer" being played according to "association" rules.
  12. The_Calling Senior Member

Oh GreenWhiteBlue! that's a good point of view as well, thank you!! ^^