for his desk was flush with the leather

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SuprunP, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    [... everything is happening at school, as far as I can understand] young Titus (inky as the rest, sleepy as the rest, leaning his head against the warm wall, for his desk was flush with the leather) had begun to follow a train of thought [...]
    (Gormenghast; Marvyn Peake)

Would you be so kind to explain to me what exactly it should mean?

If it says that his desk was filled with 'the leather', then what is 'the leather' here?

Thanks.

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I don't know what sort of school this is set in, but could the walls of the classroom be covered in leather?

3. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    Now that I've looked more closely at the text several pages before, I think yes, the walls were covered in leather.

So, does it mean that his (young Titus's) desk was immediately adjacent to the wall?

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Yes. It is close enough that his head could rest on the desk and against the wall at the same time, possibly even touching.
    (Word Reference dictionary)
    flush2

5. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
  6. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I'm glad I was able to help. This is another example of why complete context is important. If you're asking about leather in a classroom, and there was an earlier reference to leather in that same classroom, it's important context.

7. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    Sure, Egmont.

I've got a lame excuse for my not including this particular context, which is that the reference to leather wasn't in that same classroom, but rather was done in passing (as it were, since nothing in this book seems to be done in passing) in some previous chapter among other, seemingly more important, at the time, details, which consequently resulted in my not registering this slightly bizarre concept :)