1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

For the number of day

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Baltic Sea, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Hello everybody!

What's the meaning of "FOR THE NUMBER OF DAY" in the following sentence?

PRESS THE UP ARROW REPEATEDLY FOR THE NUMBER OF DAY.

Because I like black and white situations, I would like you to know what I am getting at.

DISPLAY MENU ACTION

CALIBRATE LOAD PRESS THE UP
    CALDATE 00/00/00 ARROW REPEATEDLY
    FOR THE NUMBER OF
    DAY

I can only guess that FOR THE NUMBER OF DAY means "in order to obtain/enter the number of day" but I am not sure I am right.

The source: the Overload Calibration Procedure which I cannot possibly make available to you by any means.

Thank you.

2. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Could it possibly be a simple typo and the intended meaning is "for the number of days"?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    No, it is clearly typewritten FOR THE NUMBER OF DAY.

4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I'm sorry to have been unclear. I wasn't asking if you had made a typo. I was wondering if this could be a typo in this "calibration procedure."

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Baltic Sea, you need to tell us where you found this - it doesn't look like natural English to me.

I assume that what the text is asking for is the date: Press the up-arrow to indicate the day of the month.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

To clarify a bit more: What I'm asking is that if it's possible that what the display menu wants users to do is click the arrow repeatedly until the correct number of days are displayed.

Since I have no understanding of what the menu is for, I don't know if this is a realistic possibility, but I have definitely seen menus that want to know the number of days, pages, items or whatever, and in many cases you click an arrow until the correct number of whatevers (days, pages or items) is displayed.

Edit: Loob's interpretation seems like a good possibility as well. It's extremely difficult to tell without more data.

7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Is it followed by instructions to press that arrow key again for the month and the year, perhaps after pressing a different key to move to the next field? In that case, the correct English would be "for the day of the month." Perhaps this was not written by a native speaker of English?

Added in edit: Loob and I seem to be thinking along similar lines.

8. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Yes, is followed instructions to press that arrow key again for the month and the year.
    PRESS THE UP ARROW REPEATEDLY FOR THE NUMBER OF MONTH.
    PRESS THE UP ARROW REPEATEDLY FOR THE NUMBER OF YEAR.

9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    In that case, Egmont and I are right ... and the text isn't written by a native speaker of English:(.

10. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Ah - that helps a lot. Yes, Egmont and Loob are right that what it's asking for is the "day of the month." "For the number of the day" is not the correct way to ask for this.

11. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Is it really the case that it's asking for is the "day of the month"? It is quite obvious to me but I would exclude "of the month".

12. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Yes, it seems clear that that's what it's asking for.
    I wouldn't remove "of the month" myself, Baltic Sea.

If I saw something like Press the up-arrow to indicate the day, I'd expect the answer to be Monday, Tuesday etc....

13. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    You may be right, Loob. Thank you all for help.

14. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Agreed. That is precisely why Loob (with the BE viewpoint) and I (AE) both had "of the month" in our versions. It is needed to prevent confusion.