for those I love, I will sacrifice

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by iisforirene, Jul 3, 2009.

1. iisforirene New Member

Hi. Can I get a nikkudized translation for this quote "For those I love, I will sacrifice" (feminine)
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  2. Ensign_Sulu New Member

וְלַאֲשֶׁר אָהַבְתִּי אַקְרִיב

If you like, you can ask to add a layer of trope for visual effect.
  3. Ensign_Sulu New Member

Actually, your post is ambiguous. Is for the causal for or the prepositional for?

I initially interpreted your sentence as meaning, On behalf of those I love, I will sacrifice. However, if you meant Because those I love I will sacrifice, that's different.
  4. JaiHare Senior Member

Israel (ישראל)
    English (American)
    I would propose this for critique:

למען האהובים שלי, אני מוכנה לעשות הכל.
    lemáan ha-ahuvim sheli, ani muchanah laasot hakol. (feminine version, as requested)

Literally, "For the sake of my loved ones, I am ready to do everything."

What do you guys think?
  5. cremba Senior Member

Hebrew, Israel

i would say "ahuvay" instead of "ahuvim sheli" (it's just a shorter, tighter way, of saying my loved ones).

and also, if the sacrifice is important, then it should be: "ani muchana lehakriv"
    אני מוכנה להקריב
    please bear in mind, though, that my writing in English is totally intuitive.
    למען אהובי אני מוכנה להקריב.
  6. JaiHare Senior Member

Israel (ישראל)
    English (American)
    But since להקריב is transitive, does it make sense here? What are you ready to sacrifice? Are you ready to sacrifice an animal? Money? Time? Other people? Or just sacrifice "of yourself"? Since it's really ambiguous, I chose to go the other direction and say לעשות הכל. Maybe I'm wrong in that, though. What do you think? What's the meaning of להקריב in such a situation? Is it used like this in Israel?

7. origumi Senior Member

These questions apply to the English source as well, and in the same intensity. IMO it means that the proposed translation is good.