1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

for your record

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ladybugEnglishFan, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ladybugEnglishFan Senior Member

Polish
    [FONT=&quot]"Keep the originals, and a copy of the letter, for your records". This sentence is in a text about returning goods to the store. What does "for your record" mean?
    [/FONT]

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    So that you will have a record of what happened.

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It needs be in the plural, as it is in your quote:"...for your records." Your records are your important documents such as contracts, bills and financial statements. Another way to say it would be "...for your files."

4. Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    Notice that the phrase is 'for your records'. 'Records' or a 'record' is defined in the WR dictionary. It's an excellent idea to keep a record of everything that might one day be important. The record includes original documents, letters received, receipts and copies, for example, of correspondence- the letters you have sent- especially for business and personal finance, or purchases.
    A diary or journal is a record of our daily life. Most people have several different sorts of record, hence 'records' plural.

Hermione

5. linguos

linguos Senior Member

Sorry for the intrusion but I feel it's somewhat related to the subject. Is it possible to say the phrase "For your record" interchangeably with "for your information"?

Here's my sample context:

"For your record, I have actually studied at Impy, so I know how it is there and I wouldn't listen to the people who have probably never seen the college yet they feel free to critisise it".

I believe I heard someone using it this way, but it could just well be only my imagination. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I think you might be thinking of "For the record", not "for your records".

7. linguos

linguos Senior Member

I used the singular, "for your record", not "records". So you say that using the possesive adjective would make the phrase incomprehensible and I need to use the article the here?

8. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"For your record" doesn't make sense in the context you provided. "For the record" does.

"For the record" means "Officially" or "For your information" or "I want it to be known publicly". "For your records" is not an expression; it is meant literally. It means "to be filed away with your other records". "For your record" is not used in any way, in my experience, by itself. There are possible contexts ("For your record to be official you will need to have an observer from the Guinness Book of Records on-site during the attempt"), but it's not an expression in itself.

I'm saying that you have confused the two.

And yes, "For your record" would not communicate to me "for the record", so in a sense it does make it incomprehensible. It loses its figurative meaning. "(Just) for the record" is a fixed expression.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. linguos

linguos Senior Member

OK, thank you, JamesM, I think I got it now.