1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Forma correcta de saludar

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Swemay, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Swemay Junior Member

Spanish Mexico
    Hola a todos, mi duda es la siguiente: ¿en qué situaciones se usan y cómo se responde a los saludos de una persona? Me refiero a How are you?, How do you do?, How are you doing?
    De antemano gracias por su ayuda :)

2. Slig Senior Member

Minnesota
    English (USA)
    "How are you" and "How are you doing" are synonymous, I typically switch between the two of them. "How do you do" isn't commonly used in Minnesota, I think it's more old fashioned and to me it's a more formal and awkward sounding. I don't recommend using it in the U.S., at least in the midwest states.

3. greenheyes Senior Member

Spain
    British English (Cheshire)
    En BE, How do you do es un saludo formal, y se contesta repitiendo How do you do. Realmente, no es una pregunta.

4. Alec Haskins Senior Member

Argentina Spanish-English
    I do agree, the formal, and rather old fashioned, way of saying hello is "how do you do", and I've never heard it used in the States, but quite often in England.

AH

5. greenheyes Senior Member

Spain
    British English (Cheshire)
    In Britain, this expression is often reduced, informally, to How do.

6. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    "How do you do" is still used in the South of the US, where you will often find it shortened to "How d'you do" or even "Howdy." It is an expression of greeting, more like saying hello, therefore the response should be something similar to hello. It is not considered formal here.