1. spottngo New Member

English US
    y que significa en ingles: "forma de ser"

2. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    la personalidad, cómo se conduce, su temperamento, lo que le gusta y no le gusta...

3. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Could perhaps also be "manner" ", "demeanor," "character"

4. Markos Junior Member

Venezuela
    Español - Venezuela
    So, how would you say in english "me gusta tu forma de ser"? (I like your manner?)

Saludos

5. spottngo New Member

English US
    i like your personality

6. funnydeal Senior Member

Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
    I like the way you are

:confused:

7. Markos Junior Member

Venezuela
    Español - Venezuela
    Ok... Thanks spottngo

8. Pilar Polledo

Pilar Polledo Senior Member

España - Castellano
    Can I say: 'Way of being?' :confused:

9. brandonnick New Member

English
    You can say "Way of being" but it's not a very common way of saying "forma de ser" in english. "Way of being" is more of a literal translation. It will get the point across though.

10. ausum Senior Member

Lima, Perú. Español.
    "Forma de ser" is everything about a person that you can get to know by the way he behaves with people and makes decisions. It has to do with personality in this regard —and probably is a functional synonym to that word—, but it kind of involves a warmness that personalidad doesn't have. In example:

Una joven a su amiga:

— Pedro me invitó a almorzar y charlamos mucho. Me gusta su forma de ser.
    — ¿Cómo puede gustarte?. Yo lo conozco y sé que tiene una personalidad inestable.

11. speedier

speedier Senior Member

Perhaps I like your style?

12. ausum Senior Member

Lima, Perú. Español.
    It could be. In Spanish we do have "me gusta su estilo", but it's more related to the external looks and behaviour. I think in English is more than that, isn't it?

13. speedier

speedier Senior Member

It's difficult to generalise. It probably means different things to different people, but for me, it mainly relates to the way that a person acts, presents himself/herself, manages people, handles problems, which, I suppose, must say something about his or her personality.

So does that seem more compatible with "me gusta tu estilo" or "me gusta tu forma de ser"?

14. ausum Senior Member

Lima, Perú. Español.
    It is more compatible with "me gusta tu forma de ser".:thumbsup:

15. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    To me, "I like your style" is a little more superficial than, say, "I like the way you are", which is what I would use.

If someone orders a meal in French, reading a French menu in a restaurant, I would say, "I like your style!" (and it could have a sarcastic tone).

I like the way you are has a warmer and friendlier sound to me.

16. speedier

speedier Senior Member

I think so too. Isn't there a song out there somewhere with the words:

I love you just the way you are?

17. ausum Senior Member

Lima, Perú. Español.
    That sounds cool too. Anyway "forma de ser" can be used as a noun too. As in:

Las mentiras y los reproches no van con mi forma de ser.

How would you translate that in English?

18. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Now here I would use "style". Lies and putdowns are not my style.

19. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Billy Joel!!

20. Tom87 Senior Member

English, USA
    To me, it evokes the expression, "There's something about you [that I like]" Like there's a special quality that can't be put into words or fully understood.

"Personality" is a more analytical term, so as others have said it lacks the same warmth.

21. Gerard Samuel Senior Member

New York City
    American English
    One possibility:

me gusta tu forma de ser
    I like the way you act

22. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    If "me gusta tu forma de ser" were used in a context where you'd just met someone (of either sex) and you'd been chatting to them for a while, I think in English, the most natural thing to say for me would be "I like you." I can't imagine saying "I like the way you are" or the other expressions. In Spanish you can't just say "me gustas" because that has sexual connotations, but in English there's no problem because "I like you" is more ambiguous.

23. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    English/Spanish
    How about "I like the way you handle yourself".

24. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    It wouldn't come naturally to me to say that to anyone, and what's more, it could be taken the wrong way!!

25. speedier

speedier Senior Member

I agree with Jenny that it could possibly be taken the wrong way, and the phrase doesn't fit too well anyway, as the first thing that comes to my mind is:

to be able to handle oneself = to be a good fighter = to be able to able to look after oneself (in a fight)

I haven't been able to find any WR threads relating to that meaning, but there is this one, which discusses handling someone else, with a similar meaning:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=771702