1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

formal e informal

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by stemu, Aug 16, 2006.

1. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Does anyone know what formal and informal refers to in this context?

Se exponen buenas prácticas en lo siguiente:
    - Políticas y servicios de cuidado de dependientes de carácter, formal e informal, revisando asimismo pros y contras tanto de aquellos ofrecidos por el mercado como los provistos por las políticas públicas.

2. aannaaferal Junior Member

spain
    hola. si que esta bien utilizado. un consejo andalucía va con c

3. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Thank you aannaaferal. I had actually used "Andalusia" in English, but may be I could change that to Spanish.
    About formal and informal: I have to translate this into English. But as I dont know exactly what they mean, I dont just want to use the same words in English. I am not completely sure whether they are identical to private and public, even though I dont think they are.
    Can anyone help?

4. (sic)

(sic) Senior Member

Sheffield, England
    spanish, spain
    I don't understand quite good the sentence in Spanish ;-P but I think formal e informal refers to the kind of "carácter" or something like that. Could it be?

5. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I think it is talking about dependent care services and policies, and that these services/policies are of a formal and informal nature. I don't know enough about these kinds of services to give examples of them, however.

Hope this helps.

6. swyves

swyves Senior Member

UK English, Living in Peru
    So the comma's in the wrong place, then.....

dependientes, de carácter formal e informal, revisando

7. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Yes, I think the comma is in the wrong place. However, I do not know what they mean and whether they stand in any relation to private and public services, as refered to at the end of the phrase. I have translated it this way, but I would be more comfortable knowing what this is about.

Care policies and formal and informal care services for dependants, as well as a revision of pros and contras of private and public services

8. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Yes, I think the comma's in the wrong place.

Well, dependent care services (link) can be formal, through a government agency or other organization; or they can be informal, perhaps through a privately-contracted caregiver or a family member. That's my understanding, anyway (though far from an expert one). :)

9. stemu Senior Member

Andalusia
    German
    Thank you, fenixpollo,
    So, could the difference be, that formal is either public or private, but offered by an official taxpaying institution?
    Informal, perhapseverything that is withoug paying taxes, whether paid or non paid work?

10. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I'm not sure exactly how the distinction between formal and informal is made in the dependent care industry, but generally speaking, "formal" means "through a structured program" and "informal" means "on an individual basis". It might relate to paying taxes, but not necessarily.