1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

formal letter for not attending an event

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by FRESAROUGE, Mar 23, 2007.

1. FRESAROUGE New Member

Spanish
    Hi,
    I will appreciate you helped me preparing this letter as my level of English is not high and I am sure I have made some mistakes:
    In Spanish it is:

Te escribo para agradecerte tu dedicación en la preparación y organización del roadshow en Dublin, sin embargo, lamento informarte que debido a las circunstancias por las que está atravesando la empresa nos es imposible acudir, espero que entiendas nuestra situación y de nuevo te mando mis disculpas por todo el trastorno que ésto haya podido originar para el evento.

No me queda sino despedirme y decirte que, en el futuro esperamos trabajar con vosotros para que nos organicéis otro roadshow.

Atentamente,

I have begun to do translate it into English:

A short note to thank you very much for your support in organising and preparing our roadshow to Dublin, but I deeply regret to inform that we will not be able to attend the roadshow due to the current circumstances for our company, I hope you fully understand our situation and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

But I dont know how to continue.....

any ideas about reformuling the letter are welcomed.

Thankxxxxxxx a lot.

2. Paul Clancy Senior Member

Ireland, English
    Hi
    Firstly your attempt was very good. There are a number of grammatical errors which I will now correct .. but it was a good attempt. I have also written up an alternative text which you might like to consider ... my text assumes that the event is still going to go ahead whether or not your company attends ... as this is what I understand the case to be. If it is not the case .. then let me know and I will alter my suggested text to reflect what you want to say.
    Your original text ... with corrections made in English:
    A short note to thank you very much for your support in preparing and organising our roadshow in Dublin. Unfortuantely, it is with much regret that I write to inform you that it will not be possible for us to attend the roadshow due to our company's current situation. I trust that you will understand. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

My suggestion:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Re the forthcoming roadshow to be held in Dublin on (indicate date), it is with deep regret that I write to inform you that given the situation our company currently finds itself in, it will unfortunately not be possible for us to attend the event on this occasion. We have been very impressed by the diligence and dedication of your staff in the planning and organization of this event and are certain that it will be a huge success.

We hope that our inability to attend the Dublin event on this occasion will not unduly affect the plans which have already been put in place.

It would be our hope, in the future, when circumstances are more favourable, that we will be in a position to invite you to organize another roadshow for us.

We trust that you will understand our situation and apologise once again for any inconvenience which may have been caused.

3. FRESAROUGE New Member

Spanish
    Thanks a lot for all your help, it really was valuable!!!!