1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. black_eyes082

black_eyes082 Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    Hello everybody,

I have got a confusion with the spelling of these words,

Is it forty or fourty?, In this dictionary I found "forty" but on the Internet I found "fourty". Maybe forty is American English and the other one British...

Can you help me ?!

Thanks in advance

Bye
    :confused:

2. kim63 Senior Member

United States - US English
    Forty is the correct spelling, at least in the United States. It does get confusing, because it's related to the word "four", but "40" is properly spelled "forty".

3. deuruguay Senior Member

Uruguay Spanish
    40: "forty" is the correct spelling.
    however,4- four , 14 - fourteen
    In my opinion, I find the Internet sometimes a bit "dangerous", people write and post opinions, even articles that contain all kinds of errors. That also happens in Spanish. One has to be careful and concerning spelling I would rely on a dictionary.

4. Translator99 Senior Member

South America - Spanish
    when in doubt, I try both spellings in Google and see which one gets more hits :)

5. kim63 Senior Member

United States - US English
  6. black_eyes082

Chile, Spanish
  7. black_eyes082

Chile, Spanish
    In that website appears FOURTY !!!!!

8. mcfenoll Junior Member

USA
    Spain, Spanish
    THE CORRECT WAY IS FORTY
    I learnt both British English in Spain and America English in the US and many people make that mistake of writing fourty everywhere.
    Everywhere it is a mistake.

9. black_eyes082

Chile, Spanish
    Yes, I know that is only a mistake, but the problem is that I taught a lesson to a child and I taught him FOURTY !! , I feel very embarrassed, I'm studying pedagogy in English I can't make this kind of mistakes.

Bye :(

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. deuruguay Senior Member

Uruguay Spanish
    You have to make clear you are not a native speaker and one can always make mistakes. In my opinion, what actually counts is that you work hard to improve your English and if you made a mistake, correct such mistake (you have to figure out how) so as to have your students get the correct version or the answer you couldn´t provide during the previous lesson.

On the other hand, if you are teaching English, I believe you should rely on sources which are academically serious. For Spanish speakers there's the "Real Academia Española", for French speakers, there's the "L'Académie Francaise", but for English speakers there isn´t one. However, there are reliable dictionaries, grammar textbooks, educational websites to which one can refer to clarify questions. If you are a teacher and are looking forward to preparing your students for international exams, or to study in the American or British systems, for example, "googling" would not be the best solution, you may come up with "what people say", with frequent mistakes people make , etc. And when your students sit for their exams, they will be corrected according not to what people say, but to what is considered "academically correct." My two cents.