four letter words with tashdeed on the second letter

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Alfaaz, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

Background: (Note: Sorry if this is a repeated question. I'm not sure if I should ask this question in the Arabic forum or Urdu forum (Indo-Iranian Languages) am posting in both to see what the different replies might be!) IIL forum post here!

خبرناک / Khabarnaak, an Urdu program on a Pakistani TV channel has a segment زبان و بیان (zabaan = lisaan لسان) zabaan-o-bayaan, in which the host discusses various غلط العام ghalat-ul-a'am , wrong pronunciations and usages of words, phrases, and grammar.

In a recent episode, it was said that عربی الفاظ مشتمل on four حروف with a شد/تشدید on the second حرف .... represent an element of repetition.

Examples given:
    حَمّام : a place to get hot water over and over/again and again
    قوّال : a person who recites/sings اقوال over and over/again and again

Question: Is this "rule" correct? Could members provide a few more examples of such words? (Browsing the Online Urdu dictionary for Arabic derived four letter words with a tashdeed on the second letter, the rule seemed to make sense in many cases like صِدِّیق but not for some like شَوّال ...which could be due to my lack of knowledge!)

2. barkoosh Senior Member

Yes it is. The form فَعّال in Arabic is used to denote what is called المبالغة (what could be translated "intensiveness"). So فعّال is the intensive form of فاعِل. For example:
    كَذّاب is the intensive form of كاذِب (liar)
    سَرّاق is the intensive form of سارِق (thief)
    قَتّال is the intensve form of قاتِل (killer)
    خدّاع is the ntensive form of خادِع (deceiver)

Additionally, due to this "intensiveness", the form فعّال is used sometimes for some occupations and tools/machines.
    Examples of occupations:
    لَحّام / جَزّار butcher
    جَرّاح surgeon
    نَجّار carpenter
    حَدّاد blacksmith
    عَطّار perfumer
    طَحّان miller
    خَبّاز baker

Examples of tools/machines (both forms فَعّال and فَعّالة could be used):
    جَرّار tractor
    خلاّط blender
    غسّالة washing machine
    دَرّاجة bicycle
    ثَلاّجة refrigerator
    سَيّارة car
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Alfaaz Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed, interesting, informative and helpful reply!