FR: équipe de/du tennis

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by dll1, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dll1 Senior Member

Ainu
    what if the noun that de is referring to doesn't have a definite article?
    For example a tennis team could be a tennis team not 'the' tennis team, hence une èquipe de tennis instead of une èquipe du tennis (since tennis is masculine)

2. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Hi,

When you use "du tennis", it is to emphasize that it is "this" tennis. It means that there is something called "le tennis", let says that's how you call the tennis club near your home, and you are referring to the team of this place.

So, let say you talk about a beach volley match, opposing a team of people working at the tennis club and a team of people working at the night club. You want to say "the tennis club team was better that the night club team" : " l'équipe du tennis était meilleure que l'équipe de la discothèque".

Wereas, une équipe de tennis is just a tennis team.

3. dll1 Senior Member

Ainu
    Does that mean the specificity of the tennis team usually applies to comparison when the name of the team itself is 'tennis'? So I guess de tennis is right for the occasion of mentioning how I was part of my school's tennis team.
    "Je faisais partie du club mathématiques, de l’équipe de tennis, et de l’équipe de quiz des sujets divers
    "

4. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Yes, in this case its "de tennis". (as well as "de mathématiques" I guess, except if the name of the club was "Mathématiques", in which case it takes a capital M.