1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: aussi personne ne croyait plus ce qu'il disait - inversion sujet-verbe ?

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Embonpoint, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Le corrigé des exercises de mon texte de français propose cette phrase:
    Il mentait sans vergogne à toute occasion; aussi personne ne croyait plus ce qu'il disait.

Je crois que la phrase doit être écrit soit avec une virgule après aussi soit ainsi, avec l'inversion après aussi:
    Il mentait sans vergogne à toute occasion; aussi ne croyait plus personne à ce qu'il disait.

Est-ce que j'ai raison? Je n'aime pas trop mon essai mais la phrase dans le corrigé me semble incorrecte.

La source est Expression et Style, français de perfectionnement par B. Chovelon.

2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    is perfectly correct.

What do you think it means? What translation would you offer?

3. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    The text says that after aussi is used to express consequence, the subject verb order must be inverted unless there is a comma after aussi. But then the correction doesn't follow the rule it sets out. The word order here is not inverted. Personne is the subject, and croyait is the verb. I'm puzzled as to why they teach us a rule then give us a sentence in the corrections which does not follow that rule.

(I have no problem with the meaning. He lied without shame at every opportunity, and as a result no one believed anything he said anymore.)

4. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    Hmmm...is the book confusing "aussi" and "ainsi"?

5. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    It gives the same rule for ainsi and aussi, as does another book I have.

6. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    In this context, aussi means c'est pourquoi and is quite natural.

At any rate, you can do the inversion after aussi or ainsi only if the subject is a pronoun, which is obviously not the case here.

… aussi personne ne croyait plus ce qu'il disait. :tick:
    … aussi ne croyait plus personne ce qu'il disait. :cross:

… aussi ne croyait-on plus ce qu'il disait. :tick:

… aussi mon frère ne croyait plus ce qu'il disait. :tick:
    … aussi mon frère ne croyait-il plus ce qu'il disait. :tick:

7. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Ah, okay, thank you Maître Capello! That seems to be what I was missing.

So would these be correct?

Mon frère a demandé la main de Jeanne en mariage; aussi Jeanne cherche une robe de mariée.
    Mon frère a demandé la main de Jeanne en mariage; aussi cherche-t-elle une robe de mariée.

8. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Yes, they are correct. Note that it would be better to repeat the subject with an inverted pronoun in the first:

Mon frère a demandé la main de Jeanne en mariage; aussi Jeanne cherche-t-elle une robe de mariée.

That being said, aussi may sound a bit formal in your context. Especially, it is somewhat uncommon to use it with a passé composé. It would therefore be more frequent to say something like:

Mon frère a demandé la main de Jeanne en mariage. C'est pour ça qu'elle cherche une robe de mariée.

9. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    Thank you Maître Capello! Yes, I just made up a quick example to practice the inversion. I actually am learning how to use "aussi" for use in formal argumentative essays.