FR: avant que (ne) - "ne" explétif après les conjonctions suivies du subjonctif

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by JamesM, Aug 18, 2006.

1. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

My question is about the "ne" in "avant qu'il ne soit." I know I've read about this before, but I'm still having trouble understanding why it's "avant qu'il ne soit" instead of "avant qu'il soit". It looks like a negative, and I'm pretty sure it isn't, in this context.

Can anyone help me with this concept? When do you use the "ne" and when do you not?

Moderator note: Multiple threads merged to create this one. See also FR: "ne" without "pas" - "ne" explétif et "ne" littéraire.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
  3. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    i dont know the reason for the ne but i believe it is optional

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Just one more question... does the sentence translate the same into English, with or without the "ne"? Or do you add a word to indicate some sort of emphasis, such as:

"The right to purchase a story before it is (even?/ever?) proposed..."

5. The_Moot New Member

UK, English
    Bonjour à tous =]

This is my first time posting so I hope i'm not breaking any rules! I was discussing tenses today (managed to get onto the future anterior somehow =/ ) and I was given the example of:

"Nous aurons fini de dîner avant qu'il n'arrive"

I was told that this means "We will have finished eating before he arrives." I understand how the future anterior works in this case, but I do not understand how the " n' " works. Would the sentence function without the " n' " ?

Merci beaucoup =]

6. marie tsisou Junior Member

france french
    Hello,
    No it is a real mistake if you do not put the "n'".
    You always have to put the "n' " or "ne " after using the expression "avant que"

7. The_Moot New Member

UK, English
    Oh, I was unaware of that! Is that just for this phrase solely or does it occur with other forms like 'bien que' (something to do with the subjunctive perhaps?)

Thanks again =]

8. francisxavier76 Junior Member

Aix-en-Provence
    Language: English Location: France
    This is specifically related to the subjonctif; it is what the French consider the "ne explétif" do an internet search with ne+expletif, and you will come up with some examples. (about. com has the best in my opinion). As you can see, its use is widely diminishing in the French language (which is precisely what my teacher here in Aix-en-Provence told me) and really simply makes the language more beautiful. Hope this helps!

9. Petronille Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    The "ne" isn't absolutely necessary if the verb is used in a positive form. It IS absolutely necessary when the verb is negative.
    "Nous aurons fini de dîner avant qu'il arrive" is therefore also correct.

But got to say I admit with francisxavier76 (the net is full of examples indeed) and... I personally use it :p

10. pour_pousser_la_Méshémée Senior Member

Newfoundland, Canada
    Canada, English
    My professor told me that "avant que je ne parte" (as opposed to simply "avant que je parte") is called a "decorative negatory" .... or .... err ... something like that. I really can't remember.

But, apparently, if you use the ne but leave out the pas, the sentence is still confirming that you are parting, not denying it.

So what is the difference between "avant que je ne parte" and "avant que je parte" ? Does it make it more dramatic? Can you use this with all verbs?

Thanks! :)

11. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Avant que je parte, avant que je ne parte both have the same meaning: Before I leave. Avant que je ne parte is more "dramatic" (to use your word).

Yes, you can use it with all verbs (as far as I know).

12. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    We call that "un ne explétif" :)
    It has no grammatical role & is not compulsory.
    So
    "avant que je ne parte" means the same as:
    "avant que je parte"

As I feel it, using this "ne" is more literary but let's wait for other answers :)

13. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I always considered this oddity in French grammar a bit like your appendix:

If you include it you are whole, but if you take it out you don't change!

Yes, it sounds "fancy"--not something you would say to your buds on your way out of the bar...

14. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Is decorative negatory the real English locution for ne explétif?
    If so, I understand you may feel confused, because it's not a negation!
    As said by the others, it has no use but making the sentence sound better in formal language.

15. mermy Junior Member

UK English
    Is this correct
    'Avant que les plantes ne soient trop grandes,........'
    I feel there needs to be 'pas' after soient, but am not sure!! If this sentence IS correct, could someone explain why?!!

16. yeyiboub Senior Member

Bourgogne
    France
    Here, in fact, the "ne" is explétif. That is to say that he can be suppressed without any influence on the meaning of the sentence. Your sentence is right (without "pas", because that's not a negative sentence). But you can also say "avant que les plantes soient trop grandes", even if the French people are used to add "ne" between "plantes" et "soient".
    Here http://www.synapse-fr.com/manuels/EXPLETIF.htm, you have an explanation of what is the "ne" explétif in French.
    Hope it helps !

17. sensa Senior Member

Canada
    English, Canada
    I have read a lot about "ne" explétif on this forum as well as on about.com...

but do I always use "ne" after conjunctions such as "avant que"? Because in my textbook, there is a sentence using "avant que" without a "ne"!!!!

Here it is...the little sentence that is messing up my understanding of ne explétif:

Il faut espérer que ça va mieux bientôt mais c'est impossible avant que chacun y mette du sien.

Help?!

18. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    Je ne sais d'où vient cette phrase, mais elle n'a pas été écrite par un francophone. Il y a tant d'erreurs et de maladresses en une seule phrase que je ne sais comment la rectifier, sinon en la réécrivant totalement !

"Il faut espérer que ça ira mieux dans peu de temps, mais cela semble impossible d'y parvenir avant que chacun n'y mette du sien".

Ceci dit, le "ne" explétif peut être supprimé en langage parlé, familier... mais je te conseille de toujours l'employer, ce sera plus simple.

19. sensa Senior Member

Canada
    English, Canada
    ugh! I hate when French speakers tell me a sentence in my book is weird sounding! It is from my french textbook....where I am supposed to be learning proper french! I am going to be so messed up in my french-speaking if this is the kind of book I am learning from!

ok, so you are saying I should use "ne" always myself (nevermind the studpid french book) in such cases?

20. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    That's my advice. I assume it is easier always to use "ne" than to know exactly when you must use it and when you may drop it ! (I'm speaking about this case : after avant que and in all the cases where it could happen).

Sorry for your book ! We meet the same with english books !;)

21. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    I don't think so. If there is a simple time relation between the two clauses, there is no purpose to "ne." e.g. Fermez les portières avant que le train parte. ( although I'd probably prefer "avant le départ du train.") However, if you don't want something to happen, the "ne" can add this nuance. E.g. Rentrez avant qu'il ne pleuve. In this case, you think it might rain even though you don't want it to.

By the way, your French book is not necessarily inaccurate. True, there are things that are being perpetuated that are not accurate, or that have changed with time. But I would advise you to stick to what your textbook says, until you have mastered the basics.

Omitting "ne" may not always be the best option, but it is not wrong to do so.

Cheers!

22. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Après avant que, le ne explétif est parfaitement facultatif. Dans le cas présent, je ne le mettrais pas parce qu'il n'y a pas de doute ni de crainte ; c'est une simple constatation.

Il faut espérer que ça aille bientôt mieux, mais c'est impossible avant que chacun y mette du sien.

23. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    On peut discuter sans fin le cas du "ne" explétif...
    Bien sûr qu'il y a des cas où on peut l'omettre sans risque, mais pourquoi compliquer la vie d'une personne qui étudie le français en lui demandant de retenir quand on doit l'employer ou quand ce n'est pas obligatoire ?

C'est une question qui n'a qu'une importance très secondaire. Il me semble plus utile pour un étudiant d'employer son temps à maîtriser des notions sans lesquelles il risque de ne pas comprendre ou de ne pas être compris. Si on emploie "ne" systématiquement après "avant que", on dira ou écrira quelque chose qui est toujours correct.

Sensa, si ce paragraphe te paraît clair et facilement compréhensible, je crois que tu peux te pencher sur les possibilités d'emploi du "ne" explétif !;)

Il faut espérer que ça aille bientôt mieux, mais c'est impossible avant que chacun y mette du sien.
    Dans cette phrase, il y aurait aussi beaucoup à discuter, mais ce qui me gêne le plus, c'est le mot "bientôt"... Il me semble que c'est un déictique (pardon !) qui n'a de sens que par rapport au présent... or ici, on a, soit un subjonctif qui renvoie le procès dans un temps hypothétique, soit un futur avec lequel il faudrait dire "dans peu de temps" (même question que si on utilisait "demain" à la place du "lendemain")...

24. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Mais Itka, en appliquant le même raisonnement, on peut dire: "Si on n'emploie pas "ne" systématiquement après "avant que", on dira ou écrira quelque chose qui est toujours correct."

N'est-ce pas?

25. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    C'est vrai. Mais puisque dans ce cas le ne est parfaitement facultatif (vérifié dans Le Bon Usage), on pourrait aussi dire que si on n'emploie jamais ne après avant que, on écrira toujours quelque chose de correct. :)

Je pense que tu as la réponse à ta question ;)

26. itka Senior Member

France
    français
    Eh non, justement ! Dans les livres des étudiants étrangers on trouve très souvent ce sujet pourtant si peu important !
    Voyez le nombre de questions qu'ils posent à ce propos... et je crois qu'il n'est pas inutile qu'ils sachent de quoi il s'agit, au moins pour ne pas le confondre avec la négation.

Quant à l'utilité : ils parleront un français beaucoup plus élégant en employant toujours le "ne explétif" (dans les cas où il peut exister, bien sûr : après avant que, craindre, avoir peur, etc...) qu'en ne l'employant jamais.

27. totototo Junior Member

France, french
    Boujour,

Est-ce que vous pourriez me dire si, dans cette pharse, il faut utiliser "NE":

Il y a plusieurs fichiers de configuration qui doivent être copiés
    sur le routeur avant que vous (NE) puissiez démarrer le serveur.

Merci pour votre aide. :)

Toto

28. lela105 Senior Member

Ohio
    US/English
  29. Xavier11222 Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Toto,

Et si tu disais "avant de pouvoir"? Parce qu'il y aura toujours quelqu'un pour se demander si copier les fichiers ne va pas l'empêcher à tout jamais de démarrer le serveur.

30. cfmr New Member

Québec city
    Canada, français
    :thumbsup:

31. M2k Junior Member

England (English)
    After avant que does there need to be a ne like after avoir peur que.

J'ai peur qu'il ne soit malade.

Avant qu'il ne soit malade (obviously this is not the best example but for consistency).

Can anyone clarify this for me?

32. marget Senior Member

The ne should be used after avant que just as it is used after avoir peur que.

33. gracelandmansion Senior Member

Nancy, FRANCE
    FRANCE
    De son côté, la locution avant que, qui amène un fait non encore accompli, donc encore simplement envisagé dans la pensée, gouverne le subjonctif. J'irai le voir avant qu'il parte.

most people think "avant que" must be followed by "ne" but no, it's not correct. I've just checked this out in a grammar book.

34. gracelandmansion Senior Member

Nancy, FRANCE
    FRANCE
    avant que tu sortes (subjonctif) tu feras ta chambre; this is an example i've just found in a grammar book.

35. gracelandmansion Senior Member

Nancy, FRANCE
    FRANCE
    Ne explétif

On appelle ne explétif l'adverbe ne que l'on utilise sans que sa présence soit obligatoire. Ce ne explétif n'a pas de sens négatif ; il est à distinguer de la négation ne… pas. Je l'ai prévenu avant qu'il ne soit trop tard ou avant qu'il soit trop tard. Ne apparaît dans des subordonnées qui dépendent d'une principale avec un certain type de verbes ou de locutions verbales ou qui sont introduites par certaines locutions.

everybody is happy you can say both ; both are correct

36. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Vraiment ?!! Quel est ce livre ? (donc, Proust écrit très mal :D (voir ici))

[...]

So, I would repeat that this "ne" is explétif and is not necessary, ... but is not incorrect either: quite the opposite actually.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  37. gracelandmansion Senior Member

Nancy, FRANCE
    FRANCE
    as i said both are correct. I thought the contrary but I was wrong.
    you can say either both of them

38. Nothing-is-impossible Senior Member

Canada, English
    Bonjour,

Je pense que "Avant qu'on ne le sache"="before we know it" !!!

However, literally, I have a problem understanding why we put 'ne' in this phrase. Shouldn't it just be: Avant qu'on le sache ???????

merci merci :D

39. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    C'est le "ne explétif"

40. Nickko

Nickko Senior Member

Paris
    France French
    Le "ne" est facultatif, pourtant il d'usage courant.
    C'est l'oreille qui décide.

41. JosephW Junior Member

Salut. J’ai lu une phrase dans une nouvelle et je pense que je comprends son sens, mais je n’arrive pas à comprendre la signification du « ne ».

« Elle avait dit ça un jour, quand elle était malade, avant qu’on ne l’emmène à l’hôpital. »

« She had said that one day, when she was sick, before we took her to the hospital. »

Peut-être je l’ai mal traduit, mais pourquoi on a inclus le « ne » ?

Merci.

42. IsiFR Junior Member

French
    Hi,

This is a good question, I'm used to see and hear it but I don't really know the rule...
    Your translation is perfectly correct.
    I can tell you that we use this "ne" after "avant"
    Example :
    "J'étais prêt, avant même qu'elle ne soit arrivée."

If anyone knows the rule, I'd like to know it

Sorry if I couldn't help more...

43. lolachaaban New Member

arabic
    le ne explétif est souvent employé dans le langage soutenu . Il n'est pas indispensable et n'ajoute rien au sens de la phrase . Il ne fait que l'embellir et l'alléger .
    " Travaille avant qu'il ne soit trop tard ."
    " Reviens avant qu'il ne fasse nuit " ....

44. SunnyS Senior Member

La plaignante a raconté à France 3 que l'homme identifié aurait été interdit de fréquenter la chaîne hôtelière Hyatt avant qu'elle ne signale son retour un mois plus tard à la police, sans que les policiers ne réagissent.

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...ans-un-grand-hotel-parisien_1535131_3224.html

The "ne" always confuses me. I gather this is one more case where "ne" does not mean "not", but is there because of the "que"?

In essence, the maid had told police the guy was back one month later and police did nothing? Or it says something else? I couldn't understand this paragraph.

45. harrythelm Senior Member

USA English
    verbs that follows the conjunctions "avant que" and "sans que" are regularly preceded by this "ne" which does not change the meaning of the clause. They are used here (and elsewhere) because of the implicit idea, which is negative, in this case, she will not have indicated that she/he (it is not clear to me) is back, the police will not have reacted.