1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. josecastrovaron Junior Member

Colombia
    Spanish & English
    I have never quite got how this kind of structures work. Things like chaîne Youtube, or appareil photo. Shouldn't they be chaîne de YouTube or appareil de photo? Or do YouTube and photo work like adjectives? Could you tell me how and when is it okay to employ this kind of structures and perhaps some other examples?

PS: Sorry if you don't get my question. I'm more of a native Spanish speaker than I am an English one, and in Spanish these kind of things are just plain wrong, they work by placing de and the second noun. What I mean is this: if for example fighter jet becomes avion de chasse, shouldn't other noun pairs work like so in French?

2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Personnellement, je dirais « appareil de photos », mais pas « appareil photo ».

3. josecastrovaron Junior Member

Colombia
    Spanish & English
    Pourriez-vous m'en donner des autres exemples, s'il vous plaît? (Did that sound right?)

4. Bâton-courageux Junior Member

North Africa
    French - Français
    Hello,

"appareil de photo" sounds weird , it's totally wrong (talking about France french)

chaîne télé , chaîne youtube is ok , but you can also say "une chaîne de télévision" ,"un chaîne de restaurants"

chaîne télé is more viewed as an abréviation , but for youtube i am not sure that you could say "une chaîne de youtube"

for other examples : un maillot de bain , un attrape nigauds , du gaz lacrymogène , une station radio (une station de radio is true)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  5. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

You say la chaîne YouTube just as you would say le docteur Dupont or les camions Renault, i.e. common noun + Name.

Appareil photo isn't a good example as it doesn't follow any rule. As you can see by SwissPete's post, it doesn't exist in Swiss French.

6. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands

Double-noun compounds are not that uncommon in French, but you can't just make up your own. You can find more information about double-noun compounds in this article: http://libsysdigi.library.illinois....s61976univ/studiesinlinguis61976univ_djvu.txt. Appareil-photo is mentioned here as well. The nouns in appareil-photo are in a subject-direct object relationship. The verb omitted is 'produce'. Other compounds of this type: chêne-liège, bande-son and firme automobile.

According to the same article, chaîne Youtube falls under a subcategory of the so-called predicate nominative type: noun A (= chaîne) is called B (= Youtube). Other compounds of this type: produit Nestlé, disque Philips.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. josecastrovaron Junior Member

Colombia
    Spanish & English
    Wow, bibibiben, that was probably the most useful reply I have ever gotten. Thanks for all the info!

Merci à tous!

8. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
    You're welcome. I was glad myself when I stumbled upon this insightful text. It's a treasure trove. Although it's a bit old and not all analyses may be correct, I haven't found anything better yet. Oddly enough, double-noun compounds in French seem to be a rather neglected subject.

9. josecastrovaron Junior Member

Colombia
    Spanish & English
    I agree! Thanks!