FR: coeur fait boum [sic]

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Helloitsm, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Helloitsm New Member

My question stems from a tattoo that I saw which reads: "coeur fait boum."
    There is no article before 'coeur' and I am wondering if this is grammatically acceptable in French or not.

I think it's a nice idea, but based on my French studies, I would assume the phrase should be preceded by a "le" for a generalized meaning or "mon" for a more personalized meaning. However, aesthetically I think the tattoo looks fine without any article... but does it make sense?

2. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    Welcome to the forum, Helloitsm. :)

Imho, it's odd without any determiner (article or possessive adjective) in front. But then, it won't be the first ungrammatical tattoo in the history of the world.

By the way, it's from a song by Charles Trenet : Boum, quand votre cœur fait boum...
  3. Helloitsm New Member

Yes, know the song!

Just thought it a bit odd without the article as well.
    I like the idea, though, and am thinking about doing something similar - however I detest poor grammar and would hate to have an incomplete phrase scrawled across my body forever.:rolleyes:

I think I prefer using a "le"... "The heart goes boom!"
    Might there be a better translation?

4. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    The missing article is definitely odd.

Anyway, the definite article (le) makes sense if you're making a general statement. But if you're talking about your own heart, you should use the possessive adjective: Mon cœur fait boum !