1. Trendywendy_41 Senior Member

English
    I thought I had the du de de la d' sussed but I'm confused about this.

Donner de l'amour. Does this mean to give love or to give some love?

Donner de l'eau - to give some water. Donner des épinards - to give some spinach but not Donner de la confiance, just Donner confiance à. They are all unknown quantities.

I would have thought that to give love was Donner l'amour.

Trendy

2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hello Trendywendy_41. It can mean "to give love" or "to give some love". Donner l'amour - "to give the love" or "to give love". As always, it's impossible to give hard and fast translations for individual phrases outside any grammatical context.

3. Trendywendy_41 Senior Member

English
    Yes, you are right. I should have added a little more context! The phrase is "Parmi ceux qui ont avoir des enfants, 33% dissent qu'un enfant donne de l'amour et permet d'être moins seul quand on vieillit. So I was just expecting to see Donner de la confiance a lot more in the search engine. The verb Donner + preposition De with an unspecified quantity. There weren't any. I'm a bit confused over when Donner is followed directly by the preposition de and when it's not. - Thank you.

4. VanOo

VanOo Senior Member

Paris, France
    Français - France
    I'd say that "donner" is always followed by "de". Some expressions are so commonly used that "de" isn't said (as in an ellipse).

You wouldn't be wrong to say "donner de la confiance".

For instance Redonner foi = redonner de la foi

5. Trendywendy_41 Senior Member

English
    Oh! That makes me a lot happier! Thank you. Vous m'avez donné de très bons conseils et de la confiance!