FR: En voici une d'une vérité parfaite

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by oieblanche, Jan 12, 2013.

1. oieblanche Senior Member

United States
    English - American
    Sorry to be the board hog tonight.
    One more question, potentially also a quirk of this text (or my fatigue, we'll see)

Here's the original "Qui n'a entendu parler des femmes comme ça. En voici une d'une vérité tout a fait parfaite."

Originally I assumed that "une d'une" meant "one of those"... one of those truths... but vérité is singular.

I think the phrase is somewhat idiomatic, so I'm going for a translation like, "here's one of those times the rumors turn out to be completely true."

But then I think the une d'une might refer not to the truth, but to the singular woman who proves the rumors true.... "Here's one (woman) who proves the rumors true."

Ideas?

2. Lacuzon

Lacuzon Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Bonjour,

A little more context would be needed to be sure, but to me, it's one of these women, so "Here's one (woman)..." :tick:

3. janpol

janpol Senior Member

France
    France - français
    En voici une d'une vérité tout à fait parfaite > "une" et "d'une" ne sont pas liés dans une expression > les mots "qui est" sont sous-entendus > En voici une qui est d'une vérité tout à fait parfaite > voici l'une de ces femmes : elle est d'une vérité absolument parfaite > voici l'une de ces femmes dont on vient de parler, elle est parfaitement représentative de cette catégorie (que nous venons d'évoquer)
    "une d'une" means "one of those" > non, c'est "en... une" qui signifie cela.

4. oieblanche Senior Member

United States
    English - American
    This makes a lot of sense... many thanks.