FR: et qu’elle s’y oppose sensiblement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by noonicycle, Mar 30, 2014.

1. noonicycle Junior Member

USA
    English
    Hello,
    I'm having trouble with the meaning of "en" and "y" in this sentence. Can anyone help me translate it into English?

Mais l'idée a besoin qu’une manière de décrire la situation commune et d’en compter les partenaires s’oppose à une autre et qu’elle s’y oppose sensiblement.

Could maybe start like this?: But the idea does require a single way of describing the common situation and...

Or like this?: But the idea does require that a way of describing the common situation....

I am so stumped here. If someone could help me I would be very grateful.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    It's not terribly well written, but we can still break it down.

Base structure: L'idée à besoin que X s'oppose à Z... et qu'elle s'y oppose sensiblement.
    The idea requires that X "oppose". Z... and that it (X) do so perceptibly.
    ("Oppose" may not be the best translation, but more context would probably resolve that question of vocabulary.)

X = une manière de décrire la situation commune et d’en compter les partenaires
    Z = une autre manière de décrire la situation commune et d'en compter les partenaires

une manière de compter les partenaires de la situation --> une manière d'en compter les partenaires
    to count the parteners/players involved in the situation --> to count its players

So this idea somehow requires that there be two distinct ways to describe the situation and count the players.

Do you understqnd the structure now? :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. noonicycle Junior Member

USA
    English
    Yes, much clearer now! I think I will be able to work through it and put something together that actually makes sense. Thank you for breaking this down so aptly. I feel relieved now.
    All the best!