FR: Good luck to you

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by hyboka, Feb 20, 2009.

1. hyboka New Member

At first, please forgive me. I'm not good at English
    I searched on web about what is "Good luck to you" in French.
    So I found two sentence. One is "Bonne chance à vous" and another is "Bonne chance à vous tous".
    What is difference between the former and the latter?
    Or which sentence is more correct?

I want to use this sentence to my roommate. But I don't know her well yet.

please help me.
  2. ageur Senior Member

Bonne chance à vous. Good luck to you.
    Bonne chance à vous tous. Good luck to all of you.

If there is only one person, you can't say "bonne chance à vous tous".
  3. hyboka New Member

Thank you for your reply. and "Bonne chance à vous" is correct in grammar? Because I saw "à vous! Bonne chance!".
  4. ageur Senior Member

oui c'est "Bonne chance à vous" qui est correct.

"A vous ! bonne chance !" On va te prendre pour Maitre Yoda :D
  5. hyboka New Member

haha(this is a sound of smile in Korean)!! I can understand only one word in your second reply(that is "correct"). Thank you so much. My roommate have to pass very difficult examination. So I hope to cheer her up. You makes my little hope can comes true. Thank you!!
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. ageur Senior Member

Si c'est ta roommate tu peux la tutoyer. Donc :
    "bonne chance à toi !"
  7. Tim~!

Tim~! Senior Member

Leicester, UK
    UK — English
    ^^ He doesn't speak French. How do you expect him to understand that?

To hyboka:

In French you can use different words to speak to people to show respect. (Like 존댓말 in Korean.)

The word that you're using for you ("vous") is for people older than you, to show them respect. Because your room-mate is your equal and you are friends, you could use a different word.

If you want to use this, your sentence would change to "Bonne chance à toi!", as ageur suggested.
  8. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

there exists a language of politeness that is different of the casual language in French.
    The difference in the use of the pronoun meaning "you".
    In the casual language, there exist two pronouns meaning "you" : The singular "you" is "toi". You cannot use "toi" when you are addressing more than one person.
    The plural pronoun is "vous", you cannot use "vous" when you are adressing just one person.

But in the language of politeness, things are different : You must use "vous" even if you are addressing only one person. (As if pretending they were more than just one, which is a mark of respect.)

Social rules instruct you to remember which persons you must address politely, and which persons you must address in the casual way. (you cannot easily switch.)
    If your roommate is French, he or she will know these complex social rules, and, he or she will know that in the context of two roommates (especially if you are young), you should use the casual form of address.

So, he will expect you to say "Bonne chance à toi".
  9. hyboka New Member

I appreciate(= understand correctly & thank) all of replies.
    I read some books translated into Korean written by Derrida and Deleuze. Sometimes they were developing their philosophy with french word. For example, difference of Derrida and sens of Deleuze.
    French is delicate as much as Korean. Of course, English.

Thanks, ageur! 썩소Avatar Tim~!! 6425 Fred C!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009