1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: I am going to see nothing

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by burefan, Jan 17, 2013.

1. burefan

burefan Junior Member

Russia/ lives in US
    Hello all!
    I am having trouble translating a rather simple sentence in French: "I am going to see nothing". Here is my attempt: "Je vais ne voir rien", although I am not sure if I need the "ne" in this case. Please help!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    "Je ne vais rien voir" maybe...
    But the context would help. ;)

3. burefan

burefan Junior Member

Russia/ lives in US
    This is just a sentence from a quiz to practice the verb "Voir". I was thinking about putting the negative around the first verb, but then became confused. So, "Je ne vais rien voir" sounds right to you?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Yes it does, grammatically, but according to the context, we might say something else.

Example: "On va être assis au dernier rang. Je ne vais rien voir!"

It's just that I never read "I'm going to see nothing", for me "Je ne vais rien voir" corresponds to "I won't see a thing", "I won't be able to see anything", "I'm not going to see anything"
    I'm not sure if your sentence means exactly the same thing.

5. burefan

burefan Junior Member

Russia/ lives in US
    I agree, the English sentence is not the best. It was put on the quiz by my colleague to practice Le Futur Proche with the verb "aller", as well as not conjugating the second verb in the sentence ("voir" in our case), and the negative "ne ... rien". Next time I will proof-read the quizzes I am borrowing from other teachers or make my own! MDR Meanwhile, thank you so much for your quick and kind response. I think I am going with "Je ne vais rien voir" as a translation. Merci mille fois, Kajeetah!