1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

FR: il est souhaitable que + subjonctif

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Fadedrose, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Fadedrose Senior Member

English
    Bonjour tout le monde,

I am not sure whether to use the subjunctive in this sentence. I know "Il est de plus en plus souhaitable que" takes subjunctive but I don't think it will work in my translation. I think "It is more and more desirable that the consumer should be informed" translates as "Il est de plus en plus souhaitable que le consommateur devrait être informé" but it could be "Il est de plus en plus souhaitable que le consommateur doive être informé".

Merci x

2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi,

In British English, when you say It is desirable that they should be informed, should doesn't express a piece of advice ("devrait être informé"). This is actually the subjunctive mood (that's right, it exists in English too!)

You shouldn't drink that much.
    Tu ne devrais pas boire autant.

→ Advice :tick:

It is essential that he should be there.
    Il est essentiel qu'il soit présent.

Advice Subjunctive :tick:

You could perfectly drop the should and say It is desirable that they be informed too, but I think that's more American English. So, as you can see, you neither need devrait nor the verb devoir (doive). Merely the verb être in the subjunctive mood (just as in English) :

→ Il est de plus en plus souhaitable que le consommateur soit informé...

3. Fadedrose Senior Member

English
    So I could use "il est de plus en plus souhaitable que le consommateur doive" but it is better to use "le consommateur soit"?

4. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Adding doive sounds quite awkward to be honest.

You wouldn't say I want them to have to be informed, would you? Simply I want them to be informed.